• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Two Miles High

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It all reminds me of a story I was once told.............

One day a pilot was flying his J-3 Cub around just boring holes in the sky. Looking up he saw a Saab 340 and thought to himself "boy...wouldn't it be great to be flying that"

In the Saab340 the Captain put down his magazine to look out the window only to see a DC-9 passing above. The Captain thought to himself "boy....wouldn't it be great to be flying that"

In the DC-9 the Captain put his newspaper down to look out the window only to see a 757 flying above. The Captain thought to himself "boy...wouldn't it be great to be flying that."

In the 757 the Captain putting his checklist away glances out the window only to see a 777 flying above. The Captain thought to himself "boy....wouldn't it be great to be flying that."

In the 777 the Captain was finishing up programing the FMS when he looked up only to see the Space Shuttle orbiting high above. The Captain thought to himself "boy......wouldn't it be great to be flying that."

In the Space Shuttle the Commander was figuring his descent profile when he looked down and saw the J-3 Cub boring holes in the sky when he thought to himself "boy.....wouldn't it be great to be flying that."

The grass may not always be greener

Great posts by Avbug and Simon Says.

I had been trying for a year to get a full-time flying job. I had very low multi, but we were in the midst of a "hiring boom" and "pilot shortage," and low-time pilots were being hired (or so Kit said). Mostly, I had gotten absolutely, positively nowhere, and was extremely frustrated. Then, ERAU hired me. I remember the great sense of satisfaction I felt when I gave notice at my current work. I reported in at Riddle, went through several days of standardization, and took my 141 ride. It wasn't until a few weeks later that I received my students. Never mind that I had gone without a paycheck for two months. Then, I went to work. I remember walking out to the flight line with my first student and thinking to myself, "Is this work? Am I really working?"

Then, I got my first Riddle paycheck. I asked myself, "I earned this by 'working'?"

Just more food for thought.

I once had a commercial student that wanted to try to take a Tomahawk into Lake Tahoe. I knew he'd never be able to get back out but I decided to enjoy the ride. On the way to Lake Tahoe we made it to 11,500 in a Tomahawk that was loaded to max gross at T/O. He was going to land at Tahoe, but when I told him to get the DA and run the numbers he quickly figured out that we could land but we would have to take it out on a truck. He wisely opted to cross over to the east side of the Sierras and land at Minden, NV. After a decent breakfast we left for home just before 9 a.m. and it still took most of Minden's 7000 ft rwy and about 45 minutes of hunting for thermals along the ridges to climb high enough to safely cross back to the California side.

BTW, for those of you avoiding the CFI bit like the plague, keep in mind that these are the kinds of adventures and fun you can have and still get paid while building flight time. It's not all just slogging around the pattern doing touch and goes. Hey, even those are fun if the student is either real good or real bad.

Well said avbug, and how very true...

I got my PVT in Los Alamos, NM and regularly flew at 14000 to clear the mountains. Flight instructing in Orlando, I regularly ask my students how high they've been. I'm amazed at how many haven't been above a mile!

So, when we do cross-countries to Key West, I get 'em up to 14k and sit for a while and then have them do some simple math and computations on the E6B to see if they still have their faculties about them. It's funny to see and eye opening to them before we time out at 30 minutes.

Better for first-timers to experience the "hight altitudes" with a CFI aboard so they can see when hypoxia creeps up on you.

John, MEI CAA

Cessna 152 up to 17,000 on the first solo in the practice area over Iowa...

Almost an hour to get up there, Almost a minute to get back down!!!

Old Man winter brought his two friends with him...

Low Temperature and High Pressure...

The only tow I know of that comes for free!

17 Grand I, WOW. In a couple of months here it will start to feel like you will need a Pawnee just to get the trusty 152 off the runway.

Starting it is a whole nother topic.

Acestick said:
Cessna 152 up to 17,000 on the first solo in the practice area over Iowa...

Almost an hour to get up there, Almost a minute to get back down!!!

I respectfully submit that Acestick is full of $hit.

Latest resources

Back