Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TurboProp vs. Turbojet? Who comes out ahead?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

smartelephant

smartelephant
I'm sure this issue has been debated before, but because I don't frequent this board that often I'm going to bring it up again.(for inteligent use only please) Question is: Does there seem to a biasis against TP pliots by the majors if they have an ample supply of TJ pilots to chose from? This question is not asked out of self-inferority, rather on the observation that the majority of major new hires are coming from RJ operators. I admit not all. Our company has lost several to the group in question. However, as a yardstick, it seems that TJ guys get the call and the job before TP guys even though their resumes are indentical. I'm really begining to wonder if all the time I've amassed in the left seat of this ****box is getting me nowhere.
p.s. I realize that there are more TJ pilots than TP ones, thus inflating the hiring numbers.

i guess its a matter of being more familiar with procedures in a jet. i guess companies like to see jet time. in reality if you can fly a turbo prop you can fly a jet. the difference is the wing, it has very different characteristics and flying a swept wing is different, not more difficult just different. i wouldnt say you are wasting time flying a TP. you are gaining expereince.

Last edited:
In my newhire class at SWA, 2 of the 10 civilians were turboprop only guys. I don't think there's a bias against them, I think it's simply a matter of numbers. Since most regional pilots these days are flying RJs, the odds are most regional pilots hired at majors will be from the RJ fleet. Personally, I think the EMB120 was a lot more demanding to fly than the CRJ or the 737.

Once one gets called in for an interview....that person is now being considered for employment....regardless if his time is in a Turbo-prop or jet.

Turbine is turbine is turbine is turbine.....

Let's take this further... Let's say a person has over 1000 hours of jet time with FMS/EFIS/Glass/etc. as SIC but has a few thousand hours of single engine turboprop PIC. Is turbine just turbine? I know some minimum requirements with some carriers are MEL Turbine PIC but some don't specify.

CM

Once one gets called in for an interview....that person is now being considered for employment....regardless if his time is in a Turbo-prop or jet.

The problem is getting the interview.

I'm a turbo prop guy and was finally given a start date with a major.

I interviewed with two other companies before and didn't get on. Both of them really hit the area of not having jet time. Also they kept bringing up the fact that I didn't have glass time and FMS experience.

The one that did hire me also brought this up and when it seemed that I finally convinced them I could pass training they seemed content with my answer. They told me that they needed me to convince them that I am trainable and able to learn quickly.

I gave them every example of when I used GPS and the autopilots I had used. Also there was a class at Boeing Field in Seattle that I had taken. They basically give you an intro class to FMS and glass. They also give you a certificate saying you completed the class. I showed the certificate at the interview that I was hired at and they told me that this is the type of thing they liked. He said it shows that i'm teachable. The class cost between 200-400 bucks.

They really seemed to be content with seeing that I had taken the class.

One of the companies I had interviewed at claimed that people without; jet, glass, FMS, will struggle more through training than someone who already has it. There is a fine line between being confident and arrogant. You have to come across as being confident in your ability to make it through training but not arrogant.

I don't think you wont get hired because you fly a turbo prop but I think you need to really sell yourself as someone who is able to be taught and learn quickly. It's one extra hoop we have to jump through at the interview to convince them that we wont wash out during training. I don't even think you need to take a class like I did but again be able to sell yourself.

In your next interview all you have to tell them is that today's high bypass turbofan's are basically fixed pitch turbo props. They are easier to fly.

I find it very surprising that the Majors consider you a "wash out risk" if you don't have jet time. The 737 was my first jet, and I thought it was a very manageable transition from a turboprop.

Look how many pilots easily make the transition from Seminole to CRJ; this seems like a much bigger deal than going from a Beech 1900 to a 737.

Latest resources

Back