Turbine Equipment really is better

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flight-crew

I forget how much I appreciate operating turbine equipment over recip. equipment.

Turbine engines start up perfectly almost every time. There is no worry about flooding the engine, vapor lock, or having to crank it over and over. Even Auxillary Power Units start up with one button push and then operate completely automatically and unattended. I love the benefits of an APU. Staying completely cool in the summer and warm in the winter. And having a backup source of bleed air and electrical power.

I love the smell of Jet-A right after being burned in a jet engine. I love the sound of a jet engine right after lightoff during spool-up. I like the ability to go from 200 knots indicated up to 330 knots indicated in about 20 seconds in staight and level flight. I like that jet engines can be equipped with Auto-throttles for exact speed control. I like climbing out at 1500 ft/min during an engine failure and not having to do anything except add rudder. I love the smoothness and low noice level of turbofan engines.

All in all I really appreciate turbine engines and their reliability. Turbine engines get two thumbs up from me!

I will agree with everything you said except one thing. I normally love the smell of spent Jet A, but working out on the Line at Fed Ex, the smell coming off of the DC-10 and Airbus is so bad it makes me sick every night, just want to puke. Give me a Citation or a Westwind, now thats the smell of Jet A that I rember.

Real men fly round engines, the kind with pistons, not wheels!

Turbines have no soul.

If you were having all that trouble with pistons, you just weren't doing it right.

avbug said:
Turbines have no soul.

If you were having all that trouble with pistons, you just weren't doing it right.

You said it right! Kinda like comparing a sport bike to a harley.

Ain't nothing like a radial starting up. It's almost like it's talking to you! Actually more like farting...

P-51s are great, in fact I watch Jack Roush fly by from time to time in his up at JQF. But if you really want a kick in the pants be close to a B-17 fly-by. Without a doubt the most elegant warplane ever built.

The safest and best kind of flying JOB is a turbine job. However after all is said and done a job is a job even if it’s at FL450.

Flying for the love of FLYING nothing beats a radial! Or even better, good old Mother Nature (thermals). That's when flying is fun again.

If it's just a job, then it's definately not the best...though it's probably the "safest."

The best job is the one that you're grateful to have.

Latest resources

Back