• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

2000flyer

EASY FLYER
Posted on AOPA and NBAA:

TSA WARNS PILOTS ABOUT POSSIBLE ATTACKS ON PRIVATE JETS
The Transportation Security Administration has issued a security alert warning, urging pilots and airport managers to watch out for extremists bent on destroying private jets. "A message posted in Arabic on a Web forum explained how to identify private American jets and urged Muslims to destroy all such aircraft," the TSA alert says. The message detailed how to identify U.S.-registered aircraft and gave the tail number of aircraft supposedly used by the CIA. "TSA reminds general aviation aircraft and airport owners and operators to review the security measures contained in the TSA publication, 'Security Guidelines for General Aviation Airports,' and the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association's Airport Watch Program materials." In addition to securing aircraft, the TSA asks pilots to be alert for persons "masquerading as pilots, security personnel, EMTs, or other personnel using uniforms or vehicles as methods to gain access to aviation facilities," and to immediately report suspicious activity or aircraft theft to the General Aviation Security Hotline (866/GA-SECUR) and local law enforcement.

In case everyone has not seen:

On April 13, 2006, a message posted in Arabic on a web forum explained how to identify private American jets and urged Muslims to destroy all such aircraft:

“Destroy private American aircraft…We call upon all Muslims to follow and identify private civilian American aircrafts in all airports of the world…It is the duty of Muslims to destroy all types of private American aircrafts that are of the types Gulf Stream and Lear Jet and all small jet aircraft usually used by distinguished (people) and businessmen.”

The message also advised readers how to identify American aircraft and provided the tail number of a private aircraft allegedly used by the CIA.

TSA reminds general aviation aircraft and airport owners and operators to review the security measures contained in the TSA Information Publication, Security Guidelines for General Aviation Airports (available at http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1113.xml), and the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association’s Airport Watch Program materials (available at www.aopa.org/airportwatch). In addition, general aviation aircraft and airport owners and operators are encouraged to consider the following:

· Secure unattended aircraft to prevent unauthorized use.
· Verify the identification of crew and passengers prior to departure.
· Verify that baggage and cargo are known to the persons on board.
· Where identification systems are in place, encourage employees to wear proper identification and challenge persons not wearing proper identification.
· Direct increased vigilance to unknown pilots and/or clients for aircraft rental or charters – as well as unknown service/delivery personnel.
· Be alert/aware of and report persons masquerading as pilots, security personnel, emergency medical technicians, or other personnel using uniforms and/or vehicles as methods to gain access to aviation facilities or aircraft.
· Be alert/aware of and report aircraft with unusual or unauthorized modifications.
· Be alert/aware of and report persons loitering in the vicinity of aircraft or air operations areas – as well as persons loading unusual or unauthorized payload onto aircraft.
· Be alert/aware of and report persons who appear to be under stress or the control of other persons.
· Be alert/aware of and report persons whose identification appears altered or inconsistent.

The theft of any General Aviation aircraft should be immediately reported to the appropriate authorities and the TSA General Aviation Hotline at 866-GASECUR (866-427-3287). In addition, persons should report any suspicious activity immediately to local law enforcement and the TSA General Aviation Hotline.

X man said:
:0:smash: Good post for international corporate crew, THANKS!

No kidding. I leave next week for a 2-week int'l trip.:rolleyes:

With all of this hubub when is the TSA going to get serious about GA security?

For all the show that they give .... and that is what it is, a show, GA security is a friggin joke. Ever go to Jet Aviation in TEB? Before you enter the property they ask you for your end number. I give them N123FU. They call it in and off you go. How do you like those ID's they issue you at Jet. I give them the name of a lesser know baseball player and off I go.

Corportate guys wear ID's(domestic) ... WTF for? Unless you are flying a shuttle I would be willing to bet most of your passengers know who you are. If you do not have an ID the FBO "security" is certainly not going to stop you. Trust me, I know. I have not worn a badge for the past 4 years. Heck do not even know where to get one that is recognized as a legal badge. I tried using my port badge one day in SMF (?) when I was not esscorted and they told me that they did not recognize the Port of XYZ. Last time I checked the Universal Badges were not a legal form of ID, but boy they sure look offical.

I am not opposed to increased security, but at least do not make it a joke. Right now that is what it is .. a joke.

Last edited:
Guys just so you know in KBED the TSA and the staties are entering aircraft when the crew is not onboard and then waiting for one to show up.

They recently had one where the Statie entered the aircraft while once crew was getting catering and the other was waiting on pax. He then called on unicom to let the signature know to send the pilots out where he fined them.

I don't know how much the fine was but now in bedford if both crew leave the plane make sure you close the door. They also require prop locks on the airplane and are willing to "rent" you them. Its a scam but what do you expect its massport.

I used to fly a king air that had a code you had to enter in to start it. Problem was if you screwed up it would keep you from starting it for half an hour and you got to try again. Good thing the code was 1234

Diesel said:
Guys just so you know in KBED the TSA and the staties are entering aircraft when the crew is not onboard and then waiting for one to show up.

They recently had one where the Statie entered the aircraft while once crew was getting catering and the other was waiting on pax. He then called on unicom to let the signature know to send the pilots out where he fined them.

I don't know how much the fine was but now in bedford if both crew leave the plane make sure you close the door. They also require prop locks on the airplane and are willing to "rent" you them. Its a scam but what do you expect its massport.

I used to fly a king air that had a code you had to enter in to start it. Problem was if you screwed up it would keep you from starting it for half an hour and you got to try again. Good thing the code was 1234

Mass. just plain $ucks, in everything they do.

Ted Kennedy is their hero - end of story.

However, anyone leaving a plane open and unoccupied today is a fool - even for a few minutes. I have heard stories of complete nutjobs hopping aboard then hiding, only to come out when your boss gets on! - kinda career limiting.

Most outfits have pretty set rules about leaving the aircraft unoccupied, just makes sense today. We are gneerally on our own to police this stuff in corporate/charter. Dont trust $8/hr Shaniqua at the front desk to protect you.

I trust nobody. The TSA has tried multiple times to enter the airport through our hangar, wont give details but they are terrorist type sneaky!

I'm sorry, but if some cop or TSA showed up at my airplane and entered without my permission I would not only kick em out but press charges for tresspassing. Just because an agency makes up a law doenst mean that it is legal to due so. Do we remember about a year or go back when some airport I believe in California wanted to make it a criminal offense to violate their noise curfew. Never passed. I would love to know more about what happened in this situation.

Latest resources

Back