• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TSA begins testing pilots-only security lines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Good question... Maybe they were able to figure out something on ferry flights.

Not really. We only have one or two now, and they're relatively insignificant IMHO. One is Commutair and another is Sun Country. Anyhow, we recently lost what I thought of as our only 'decent' jumpseat privelege, which was with AirTran. It was revoked because we are essentially unable to reciprocate.

Rotello

Who cares if we don't have jumpseat agreements with anybody. The company can still apply to have their pilot database entered into CASS to take advantage of the new crew security checkpoints. NJA and NJI both hold commercial operating certificates. I see no reason why we couldn't participate. The hard part will be convincing the company to devote the IT resources to getting the information into the CASS system.

gutshot is correct.

I believe it costs around 30K to get into they system. Buying hardware, software, fees and the like.

But 30K to get an ENTIRE pilot group through security, head of the line style is worth every cent plus a few more. Every frac would lose 10 times that if they had absorb their crews getting "stuck" in security and missing flights. The alternative is to back up the duty on time to allow for 3 or 4 hours to get through security in some instances and that too would justify the 30K expenditure.

Fractionals may need to pony up on this one. We'll see.

I should have made it more clear. There is no reason for NJA to pay for CASS since we don't have any current jumpseat agreements. What do they care if we are prodded in security? It disrupts normal ops very little.

CASS will obviously be the ticket to other security-related things, aside from jumpseating. I'll use my AAdv card to get where I need to go.

Anybody know the approximate cost for a company to get into CASS? I've heard a number of 135 carriers have tried to join but have found it to costly.

That's assuming that the TSA troll who is guarding the gate has enough sense to actually USE the Crew Pass process.
Or if our security dept. puts us in it. It's my understanding that our sec. dept. is why CMH has the hots for us.

I think this is a splendid idea, although I can already see it getting muddled within the first 24 hours by some bonehead passenger trying to cut through the crew line.
...and the USA Today article making the pilot look like the bad guy for it...
(above)

The passengers I chat with in the lines don't seem to mind the aircrews. It is the "burger flippers" shoving them out of the way on their way to their jobs that irritates them.

I love the perspective "so the passengers don't have to put up with people cutting in line" What about so pilots don't have to put up with this ******************** going to work on a daily basis...

Hi!

I was thinking that NJA could get into CASS so they can use the Crew Pass system (if it goes national).

Here are some airlines now in CASS:
ABX
Airnet
AirCargoCarriers
Ameristar
ArcticTransportationServices
BeringAir
BemidjiAir
EvertsAir
FLWestInterationalAirways
GrantAviation
HagelandAviation
IslandAir
KalittaChartersII (non-747)
KalitaChartersLLC (non-747)
KeyLimeAir
LyndenAirCargo
MurrayAir
NorthernAirCargo
PenAir
SwiftAir
TransNorthAviation
USA Jet
XtraAirways
ZoomAirlines

As you can see, there are a number of -135 carriers.

cliff
YIP

Latest resources

Back