Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rpatte1637

TRY ME FOR FREE

Now that I got your attention, I am trying to do some networking here in Georgia, does any one know of any aviation departments in the Atlanta area or Northwest Georgia area that that would like a trainee to help out their business for six weeks free. I am a commercial ASEL/AMEL instrument pilot with 800 plus hours (no CFI ratings) that would like the opportunity to receive some additional experience in the aviation world. I am willing to work the ramp, dispatch, charter operations, sky diving, FBO, pipeline, aerial photo or other positions that are related to an aviation career. Now, before I get bashed too much by the, “we are professional and shouldn’t work for free or low wages group”, let me explain. I am currently on unemployment and the Georgia Department of Labor has a program that will continue to pay me my unemployment plus $600.00 over a six week period to receive training from a Georgia company, the employer basically get a free trainee for six weeks and has the option of hiring the trainee after the six week period or not. I am a pilot and would like to get my foot in the door somewhere that I can work my way into a pilot position. Sorry this opportunity is only open to Georgia residents on unemployment and companies with a base in Georgia (HQ can be in another state, but must have a base here). Thank you for your help, anyone on unemployment or employers in Georgia that would like information on this program, feel free to contact me and I will assist as much as possible.

Scott

I had some good and bad reponses on some of the other boards, so I thought I would post some more information here too, to clear thing up a little.

First, how many people looked at this post just because of the title. I did a post on “GAWorks” on March 30th on Jetcareers and received less than a one hundred views in nine days. I posted “TRY ME FOR FREE” on Jetcareers and in less than 12 hours, I had almost 200 views. The Georgia Department of Labor has very few aviation leads, so the encourage people to market themselves (aviation or other wise). This got peoples attention and if it upsets 100 people, I’m sorry, but it could also make one network connection that knows of a company that is looking for someone and has not advertising it. The title was all about marketing and getting people to look at the post, which it has, hopefully it will get to someone attention that may know of a position available or a company willing to at least see if I fit in their environment.

Now on to “GAWorks”, this is a program created by the Georgia Department of Labor to boost employment in the state after 9/11. I have been on unemployment for the past seven months and knew nothing of the program, until a week ago, when I certified and a note came up to advise people of the program. To be eligible, you must be a Georgia resident, collecting unemployment benefits and “looking for work”. The program allows you to “train” with an employer for up to 24 hours a week for a maximum of six weeks (the rest of the time you are to look for work, why not 40 hours a week training, because then Georgia considers you employed and can not collect benefits). The state also pays you an addition $200 after the first week, then and additional $200 in the fourth and six week to help with expenses, such as child care and transportation cost. You are allowed a maximum of six weeks of training and it can be split between employers or all at one employer, but six weeks is it, there are no extensions. How many times have you taken a job and a week later said “What have I done?” Well with GAWorks, if you find that the position is not for you or the employer decides you are not what they are looking for, then all you have to say is “thanks for giving me the chance to see how your company operates” or they can say “sorry your not working out, but thank for coming in” and no harm, no fowl. As far an employers taking advantage of the system, sure you will have some that will try, but they must sign training agreements with the state and the companies are monitored. If the state sees one that keeps bringing in “trainees” and letting them go at the end of six weeks, just to bring in another, they will quickly drop them from the program. Georgia is not the only state that has this program, the person conducting the orientation said she knew of at least five other states that modeled their own programs after Georgia.

Now for the people saying I’m using their tax dollars. The maximum the state will pay for the six week period is $600, not a penny more. So let’s see, I’ve worked in Georgia since I was 14, I’m now 46, that 32 years of taxes I’ve paid Georgia, which comes down to $0.38 a week refund on the taxes I have paid over the last 30 years, not you.

If you would like more information on GAWorks, please visit the Georgia Department of Labor GAWorks website at http://www.dol.state.ga.us/spotlight/sp_georgia_works.htm.
Again, any Georgia company and any unemployed Georgian collecting unemployment benefits can use this program.

For anyone in the Florida area, they did have a first officer position and several other aviation position listed through the WorknetPinellas site not long ago, but not being a Florida resident I could not apply. I guess since I’m not a Florida resident I should be furious, because I could not apply, I’m not.

Again thanks for everyone input, good or bad.
Scott

Scott-

Are you really 46 years old with those stated times? Seriously, you are really facing an uphill challenge. What job were you laid off from? How have you been supporting yourself and paying for flying lessons?

Could you give us more backstory/information so the brain trust on the board can help you?

Cheers- Rum

Yes I am 46. I started my private pilot lessons in 1995 and did a little at a time. In 2001 my wife was in a bad accident and I left a hospital here in Atlanta, where I worked, to get a job closer to home to care for her at the time. After settling the law suit on the accident, we purchased a Piper Cherokee, and I built about 300 hours in it before we had to sell it. In 2002, I decided I wanted to change careers, so I decided to go back to school and complete my Associate's Degree by taking some online courses through Utah Valley State College. I was able to use Stafford loans to pay for college and flight lessons, and completed all the rest of my ratings while there, except my CFI ratings. I did complete the ground portions of my CFI classes while in college, but had problems with the teaching/flying portion. After starting my college career at UVSC, I decided I liked their program and continued with my Bachelor's of Science in Aviation. I completed my BS in 2007 with honors, a 3.7 GPA and was on the Dean's list every semester, while working a full time job as a maintenance supervisor for a youth detention center in Dallas, GA. I left the detention center in 2007 to try out for an air tour pilot position at the Grand Canyon, but was not hired. When I returned to Georgia, I started to work for my brother-in-law at his pool store as a service tech. This was only suppose to be a short stay, while I looked for a pilot position, but then the aviation industry started it down hill spiral. In the last three years, I have been laid off twice for several months from the pool store during the down season.

In 2008, I had the chance to build some flight experience with Corpjet in Kennesaw. Myself and another pilot were brought in for a single engine VFR 135 position flying checks. We went through ground school and were waiting for a plane to be put on the certificate for us to fly. While waiting we were allowed to fly with one of the other pilots, on another run, to build some IFR experience so we would be ready to get our IFR 135 checkrides once we reached 1200 hours. About six months after we started, the section we were training under was phased out and the VFR position never was started. I flew with them twice a week, while working full time, and built about 100 hours in the Beech 1900, flying as a SIC in training. Although this did not work out the way I had hoped, it was one of the best learning experiences that I have had. I feel much more comfortable flying in controlled airspace, flying in hard IFR and around severe weather, working in a multi-pilot CRM type environment, and many other aspects associated with the on-demand cargo operation.

I have been laid-off now since October and the Georgia Department of Labor has two programs that I hope may help me get a foot in the door. One is a WIA OJT program that reimburses the employer ½ my salary for up to 440 hours and the other provides me training for up to six weeks at no cost to the employer. The second will not actually cover flying, but I could still “train” in a FBO, dispatch, or other non-flying position.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back