Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mud Eagle

Aviator
Anyone know the restrictions (or help point me in the right direction) on transferring time from one logbook to another?

I'm a military pilot, but I also had my private ticket before I started flying jets. For a while I was keeping both types of time in the same book...but advice from many people advised me to keep them separate.

So, right now I have two logbooks that are a mess; mostly military time with some civil lines strewn in.

What I want to do is create a new log for my civil flying separate from the military stuff...that way, years from now when it's time to interview, I'll be able to simply bring in my AFORMS printout (for the AF time) and my civilian logbook. Plus, I won't have to worry about math errors in my military time making my personal log not match the AFORMS printout!

Can I simply transfer time from one to another? What about endorsements and the like? Or, am I stuck with some messy logbooks until the end of time?

You can do it any way you like, as there is no regulation to guide you in this case. I would suggest making a new log to separate the times as you've desired...make a notation in the back of the log that this is a reconstructed log and reference your origionals for the endorsements. You don't need them twice. You needn't take the origional logs to the interview (though you could keep them in a briefcase in the event anybody gets really desperate to see them).

It's not a big deal.

Alternately, you could leave the paper logs as they are and enter your time onto a computerized log to keep it seemless. You can include both military and civil time in this manner, create any classifications you want, and reference each flight to your AFORMS printouts. Then everything will mesh nicely, it will look professional, and it's perfectly acceptable for an interview.

As far as I know, the only stuff you have to log is that required for recency of experience. There's no regulation saying that you have to have beautiful, well organized logbooks with absolutely no mistakes in penmanship. So don't stress out too much over it.

avbug said:
Alternately, you could leave the paper logs as they are and enter your time onto a computerized log to keep it seemless.
I agree completely. The issue is organization and perhaps ultimate presentation of the information. The answer is not to create a whole new paper logbook while having to keep the old one anyway to show any necessary endorsements. An electronic version will do exactly what need to be done.

If you can get your 271/1CO to give you a data dump of your AFORMS data, you can import it using the Import Wizard in Logbook Pro, that's what I did. AFORMS has an Excel compatible format, which you can then touch up and prepare for an easy dump into Logbook Pro.

My $.02

Latest resources

Back