Training plane - C152 vs Piper Warrior

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

thee12nv

I am beggining my private pilots license and went up on my discovery flight in a piper warrior. The instructor recommended the piper over the cessna 152 as I am a decent size guy (6'1" 210lbs) and so is he. I was concerned that it was $20 more an hour to rent than a cessna 152 or 150. Is it worth the extra $. It will add up to at least $800 or more in additonal costs

Two other questions.
I will be in Tampa. Fl for a few weeks over christmas break and wanted to take classes while on vacation. Is it possible to switch back and forth, is the training pretty standardized? I heard you need to stay with the same plane at least?

Also my ground school is on saturdays and i might miss a couple. will it seriously delay my time to get my PPL? My CFI said no, i can come back and take the ones I miss later but I wanted to double check.

Thanks in advance for the novice questions.
Any other advice on getting a PPL would be greatly appreciated.

152 v. PA-28-161

The Warrior is a lot more airplane than a 152. A four-seater as opposed to two seats, and higher gross; I believe something like 2325 lbs. versus something like 1600 lbs. for the 152. I believe a 152 is powered by something like a 108 hp Lycoming whereas 160 hp Lycoming O-320s power Warriors. 152s are underpowered already. As a bigger person, you will get more performance and a better learning experience with the Piper. That's my .02.

You really need to stick with the same instructor and/or school. The training isn't as standardized as you might think. You really can't walk into a strange school or FBO and continue with the next lesson in your syllabus.

Missing a class or two for your ground school shouldn't slow you down appreciably, as long as you can make up the work. Compare it to missing school for a couple of days for illness. Maybe your friends brought home your homework. You don't want to miss too many classes, though. Preparing for and going to class is part of the learning experience of ground school.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your training.

Last edited:
I'm only 5' 10", and even I appreciated the difference between the warrior and the 152. If your own weight and your instructor's weight add up to more than 260 lbs, the I'd go with the Piper product.

I recommend using the same aircraft throughout your private training. A consistent, familiar, and secure environment will enhance your learning experience.

Make certain you ask your instructor how he feels about your taking a lesson or two over vacation. Perhaps he'll recommend someone, or give you an assignment to complete. If he frowns when you ask, don't do it. Instead, keep reading your text and enjoy your time off.

On a personal note: if the extra $800 is a big concern, I recommend you become a webmaster, not a pilot. There will be economically challenging times ahead, and you need to be willing to accept that. In your case, the extra money for the warrior is well spent.

Last edited:
the warrior is the way to go, I learned in a pa-28-140 but, i flew a 152 before the cherokee, i just wouldn't go back to the 152 as long as the cherokee was there.

I learned in a C-150, no problem. I haved towed banners in them for 8 hours aday, no problem on comfort. I am 6', 200 lbs.

The 150/152 is an honest airplane for training. It is a responsive airplane for most of the manuevers you will be doing.

The Piper is easier to land with the low wing, the Cessna you have to land, if you make a bad landing you know it, the warrior is not really that way unless you really mess up.

But in the end its what you prefer. I think the cost will be alot more if you do it in the Piper.

But most of all, have fun.

Congrats on starting your training, its a great industry for fun or work, even though its really tough right now on alot of us, I wouldnt change it for nothing.

Personally, I'd just decide if the extra room is worth the money, and leave it at that. I really don't think learning in one plane is going to make you an appreciably better pilot than the other. Both are simple planes and are easy yet honest to fly - each with their own little peculiarities.

My 2 cents

Check the pricing on the Cessna 172. If you decide on the 152 you'll be wanting to checked out on the 172 the day after you pass your practical.

Good Luck,Have fun and go at your own pace.

I'll just add about 3 cents more. I learned on both a 172 and an archer. I had no problem switching from one to the other. I would say this fly both and make up your own mind, don't get all bogged down on the high wing/low wing thing. I would suggest that the last 5 hours or so before your checkride that you pick one or the other so you can really learn the particular traits of that airplane.

I also agree with the post earlier that you really shouldn't get all that raped up in the $800, being 6'2" and 215lbs, I prefer the piper products but I still fly the 172 for fun when I fly into and out of grass strips. There's just something about landing on grass in a piper I don't like.

What ever you decide, good luck and STICK with it!

Two great trainers. Pick the one you like after taking a ride in both. In fact, take another ride in a C-172 and pick the best of the bunch. Do it for your own reasons, size, price, the look and feel. You will not be cheated in any way by any of the planes listed.

After you get your PPL, you can always get checked out in another airplane in just an hour or two. There is very little technique difference in the training aircraft. I only hold one warning - never underestimate the C-152. I have had many the conversations with newly minted pilots who believe that because they can fly a C-172 that they can just receive an immediate signoff for the C-152. Every aircraft should be respected as a new and independent beast. Get a proper check out and then learn to love the new ride like your old one.

Enjoy flying. It sure is fun.

Latest resources

Back