Training Contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

heywatchthis

OK, I am sure this has been discussed many times and yes I did do a search and found some good info. But....

Does anyone have any ideas for a defense or how to get out of not paying for a training contract after leaving early.

My previous employer (yes I was employed and now quite), is suing me for $21K. I only stayed for 5 months not 12 months. I planned on staying but I was lied to about days off, pay, working conditions, forced to violate regs, changed perdiem, and changed call out times. So I found another job. My attorney says that the conditions of employement doesn't matter seeing how it was not included in the contract. Any loopholes? Any ideas? Can they really collect? How bad will it hurt my credit? and can they ever force me to pay the debt.

Thanks.

I asked a family member who is an attorney, who deals with contracts, about these training contracts. He said that generally there is nothing wrong with this type of arrangement. The enforceablility depends on the stipulations of the contract, the reason for seperation (resigned, furloughed, fired) and the laws of the state on which the contract was signed.

Best to get a good attorney to review the specifics and give you the best advice as no doubt the company in question has legal advice on their side as well.

A word of warning to pilots looking for jobs - don't sign a training contract. There is a reason these companies require them - and usually it is because their pay, working conditions and equipment is so bad that there is no way most people want to stay. If people stopped signing these contracts, maybe these companies would be forced to improve the working environment.

He is exactly correct. If you do sign the "training contract" then make sure it includes the conditions of employment in the contract. They always promise everything and then hold you to the contract even though the pay is completely different in what they told you.

Get it in writing ALSO!

The attorney says I am Fu..Ked, so any ideas NOW.

Anyone have and ideas on what happens if you don't pay?

I've always been told that training contracts are not enforceable unless written very well. If you can't get out of it perhaps you could go back to work for them as a disgruntled pilot with very poor customer service skills that gets sick often?

My question is...why do you sign something, agree to it, then after things so south, whine. You have to watch what you sign with open eyes and be prepared for the consequences. You're gonna pay someone, even if it's the attorney, who always wins.

soarboy007... i can only speak for me ............. I don't get what i was promised ....the contract was signed over 7 yrs ago and best i can tell it is still in force............. and quite honestly just like the pay for training debates on here.............................. if you are on the inside looking out it is a lot easier to be high and mighty and morally correct.................... but when you are on the outs looking to put food on the table ...............well thats something else is it not?

My question is...why do you sign something, agree to it, then after things so south, whine. You have to watch what you sign with open eyes and be prepared for the consequences. You're gonna pay someone, even if it's the attorney, who always wins.

I think you need to cut him some slack as it appears that this is the first time he has found himself in this particular situation (under contract at a lousy company). I am sure he has learned his lesson. Nice to see that you view someone who complains about being forced to violate regs as a whiner though.

Great post!

Was just think about asking this same question. For me, it is more about my word. I'm in a contract now (expires this May) and although I have received some attractive offers that financially would make sense to leave...I just can't. Besides that it would put my employer in a bind, it would also make me look awful. I gave my word. All I can do is wait and hope that those offers come up again when I am ready (probably not but what are you gonna do?) I know my current employer will still be pissed when I leave but at least I can know I did my part, right?

Don't get me wrong, if my employer was continually violating FARs or seriously putting my life or career in jeopardy it might be a different story. It is like a marriage...till death do us part, but there are some deal breakers.

Yep, your word should be your bond. I'm never said you should stay in a situation where you are required to "break regs". Most guys who sign these things always have in the back of their mind..."These people won't sue me". Then when a better deal comes along they try it.

I also signed a trainng contract once. After I signed it I thought about a lot of details I wish I'd put in, such as..1.What if I die, will my spouse be responsible? 2. What if they sell the airplane, am I required to stay? 3. What if .......
There was a time limit and once it expired, the contract went away. I did advise the next guys to add a few things to protect themselves and the company agreed. I kept my end of the bargain though. I wasn't required to violate regs, but I could have argued about working conditions, which existed when I signed, but I stayed. You have to be careful when you enter into these contracts and open your eyes, not your bank account.

A friend of mine was able to settle out of court for half of the training agreement. I know it still hurts but it is better than the full amount. He also was f-cked.

Latest resources

Back