Tower to Tower clearance?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Iceman07

OK, so way back when (1980's) I was a full-time CFII, we would often times during a Instrument training flight, get a "Tower to Tower" clearance. We would call clearance, give them aircraft type, etc. and ask for a Tower to Tower to XYZ airport (For instance from LGB to TOA) they would give us the clearance.

So it's been a long time, are these still available?

TIA
Rich

You're talking about a TEC, or Tower Enroute Control. Yes, these are still done. TEC routing is generally used for non turbojet airplanes operating below 10,000', and less than two hours enroute. No specific pilot requirements exist for using TEC. When filing for a TEC routing, add the words TEC in the remarks section of the flight plan. Reference is found in AIM 4-1-8.

When I was flying out in SoCal a couple of years ago we used them a lot. We could get Tower Enroute to just about anywhere down in that area.

Yep, I've done em' up in the northeast a few times ie. TEB to PHL. Works great.

TEC isn't just for non-turbojet. Take a look at the actual TEC SoCal routes printed in the Jepp charts enroute section. Altitudes and routes are listed for both jet and non-jet aircraft. And, it's not just for altitudes below 10,000. And, you don't have to file a paper flight plan unless you want to list an alternate.

Besides that, avbug got it right. :)

I never said it wasn't for non-turbojet only, nor did I say it was only for aircraft below 10,000'.

I reiterated exactly what is given in the AIM for TEC clearances, which specifically states it's generally used by non-turbojet aircraft and for flights operating below 10,000...and then I provided the reference. Additionally, the AIM specifically states that one should include TEC in the remarks section of the flight plan.

TEC routing is generally used for non turbojet airplanes operating below 10,000', and less than two hours enroute.

Dang'd if I didn't get it right, after all. :)

In practice, what's the advantage (I've never done this). You still file a flight plan. I'm assuming you'll get a full route clearance of some sort. AIM also mentions IFR to satellite airports. Are all TEC's IFR clearances?
Where does it help my workload? Or is it somehow better for ATC?

Huggy:

The number one advantage is that you don't neccesarily need to actually file a flight plan. You can simply call Clearance (or ground) and request the TEC. You might want to do it before engine start, though, as it might take a few minutes for them to get the clearance.

In practice, what's the advantage (I've never done this). You still file a flight plan. I'm assuming you'll get a full route clearance of some sort. AIM also mentions IFR to satellite airports. Are all TEC's IFR clearances?
Where does it help my workload? Or is it somehow better for ATC?

A certain regional (I fly for) that flies a lot out of PHL has recently been experimenting with using TEC's to designated cities close by. The stated purpose by the boys in charge is to see if this will reduce departure delays out of PHL. During times when there are departure delays due to weather or congestion in NY Center's airpsace, the direct advantage - because the TEC's we use do not go up into NY Center's airspace - is that we usually do not have to wait for NY Center to release us into their airspace. Therefore, the TECs allow us to stay low underneath their airspace. So, this theoretically reduces fuel burn during long waits on the taxiway, delays - which in turn increases utilization of our aircraft - and reduces the # of pissed off passengers. I just recently flew from PHL-SYR at 7,000' and 250knots. Talk about fun.

A certain regional (I fly for) that flies a lot out of PHL has recently been experimenting with using TEC's to designated cities close by. The stated purpose by the boys in charge is to see if this will reduce departure delays out of PHL. During times when there are departure delays due to weather or congestion in NY Center's airpsace, the direct advantage - because the TEC's we use do not go up into NY Center's airspace - is that we usually do not have to wait for NY Center to release us into their airspace. Therefore, the TECs allow us to stay low underneath their airspace. So, this theoretically reduces fuel burn during long waits on the taxiway, delays - which in turn increases utilization of our aircraft - and reduces the # of pissed off passengers. I just recently flew from PHL-SYR at 7,000' and 250knots. Talk about fun.

Sounds like almost as much fun as DTW to FNT at 4000 in the Avro used to be.

Latest resources

Back