Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Vik

Continuing the previous thread, I've got a scenario for everyone to consider:

A guy owns his own plane and splits the flight time (under the hood/safety pilot) with others to build time to go get a Part 121/135 job.

His logbook totals look like this .. 1000 TT / 700 ME PIC / 375 instrument time (actual + simulated).

So this candidate has 37.5% instrument time.

Doesn't that look odd to interviewers?

Not an interviewer and I didn't stay at a holiday inn express last night, but...

I can't see why...I would think that if everything in my logbook were logged correctly (no SIC in a 152, etc.) and if they asked about it if I could tell them why I had a lot of instrument time...I don't think it would be a problem...

I'd think they'd want you to have as much instrument time (legally) as you could possibly have without making it up (don't go logging every flight as 100% or 90% instrument even...just log what is really instrument time) for currency and proficiency reasons...

....but I could be completely wrong on this one

-mini

What if some of the flights are 90% instrument? Wearing the hood shortly after takeoff and wearing it all the way to minimums? I mean the two pilots are trying to split the cost, so it has to be done that way.

I think the key there is some.

Personally, I have seen some logbooks from instructors with 2.4 hour flights and 2.4 instrument...so you had to use instruments to taxi?

I could see a 2.5 total time with 2.2 or 2.3 instrument...if the ceilings are low (say right around 100-200 feet) and you do a quick enough runup...it's possible from start to getting in the sh*t is 6 minutes and then breaking out to shut down another 6 minutes...I could understand some flights like that....but not a whole bunch...

However...if it's simulated instrument time, then I could almost not care less...since you'd have a safety pilot, you COULD wear foggles or a hood or whatever from engine start all the way through shutdown...the S.P. could give you "vectors" to taxi and you could takeoff tracking a LOC needle and land using an ILS or something crazy like that...

something I'd do? no...but I'm sure some have...

...but like I said...I really have no clue...to me this is just what makes sense

-mini

Well, of course the flights would be 2.4 total, 2.0 or 2.2 under the hood. But that works out to 92% of that time being under the hood.

And if you're splitting time for every time building flight, and thats all you're doing, not CFIing or anything, most of your flights will be with most of the time under the hood.

Of course, half of the time building will not be under the hood and will be safety.

I'm just bringing it up b/c people said that no more than 10% of your total time should be instrument time.

Latest resources

Back