• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MLBWINGBORN

Freedom Fighter
Hey guys and gals..

In order to try to better serve you pool rats/poolies many of us would like to try to answer your questions with the most accurate info possible..

As you know, many of these questions /answers have been posted many different times and places..In order to provide better info we would like to focus on perhapes the top 10 or 15 questions and post answers to all of them..These answers may be updated as conditions/policies change..

So...How about it?

Mine would be...

Where am i really in the pool..?

How many are there really in the pool?

What changes in my status should i report to the PD..

Do i need to report a speeding ticket to the PD?

Do i need to keep my first class medical during my time in the pool?

Do i need to remain current while im in the pool?

What happens if im in the pool and i get recalled to duty?

What bases are the new hires being sent to?

What is the order that is used to put people in class?

How many classes are being planned for the year?

How big are the classes?

How much notice might i get before class?

What are LLs and CHs phone numbers and e-mail addresses?

Whats reserve like?

How much might i spend for stuff in my first year at SWA?Stuff to include uniforms,roller bags,flight bags,crash pads,meals on the road..etc etc..

What do i need to be studying while im waiting for class?

How do i get flash cards for class?

How hard is it to commute from city_____?

Whats the crash pad situation in city_____?

This is your chance to get the questions you want answered for yourself as well as those coming up behind you so take the time and please provide as many of your best questions as possible..

We will at some point try to compile a top ten or fifteen most often asked list and post current answers..

Please keep in mind that some simply cannot be answered due to various reasons but every effort will be made to get the very best info for those that can be..

Thanks for hanging in there in the pool and i can say that all of us here are trying our very best to make it worth the wait..

Mike

Last edited:
Mike,
Excellent post and idea! I cant tell you enough how much we apprreciate the time that you put into providing us with information. I owe you some frosty ones of your choice!! Looking forward to meeting you someday Mike, thanx again for all the info.

I will chime in with a few questions for the list.......

1. Does SWA have a credit union or bank of it's own for employees?

2. What really is the crash pad situation in OAK? What are the options available? Motor home in some parking lot? Boat in a near-by harbor? What are some guys doing..........I have heard rumours of both the motorhome and the boat idea but have not had them confirmed.

3. Any info from somebody who is actually commuting from PDX to OAK would be great too. What works best AM or PM trips, ect....

I will take a shot at answering the first few questions from my perspective.

1. Yes there is a Southwest Credit Union. You will be briefed during our first few days of training as I remember.

2. There are no Crash Pads in the Oakland area to speak of. Hotels are the most popular choice. The Days Inn is the cheapest at around $45 a night. The Best Western is the most expensive among about 4 or 5 normally used by commuters at $61.50 a night. While on Reserve a number of Probationary Folks share rooms and the Hotels are really good about it.

Motor homes are used in the Employee Parking Lot. The cost is $110 a month and is payroll deductible. There is an RV park about 3 miles away. They charge $10 for a dump and water service.

A few pilots do rent boats for a crash pad but I understand it is a little expensive. How much I can't say.

3. Commuting from PDX, SEA and GEG are really easy. It does get crowded during the summer. However with normally two jump seats available in the cockpit, it isn't too much trouble. Be careful during holidays and plan accordingly. Both AM and PM work fairly well for Oakland. Just a matter of preference. As you get more senior AM seem to work just a little bit better.

Hayden

Thanx Hayden! that really helps.......that motor home option for $110 a month sounds pretty good!

Liv'in the dream.......er' rather LUV'in the dream!

Icebergclub

Will it float?....Will it float?....

Since we're putting together the Top Ten list for the pool, how about a segment of "Will it float?" for the pool. :D

Sorry, I've been watching too much Letterman lately.

Dog..

We gotta find something for you to do..

Mike

Mike,

If I only had a nickle for every time I've heard that this year....

But altogether a very productive day. All the web surfing finally paid off when I locked in a 4.875% refinance on the house to save about 230 bucks a month on the 'ole mortgage. I told them I was an out of work airline pilot with nothing better to do, and they still approved us. The guy said his dad was an ex-TWA driver, so he knew the routine very well.

(Thank God I'm married to a nurse. At least somebody in this house can earn a living these days.)

Gotta run. Letterman comes on in a little while. Rumor is they're dropping a SWA poolie in the tank on "Will it float?" Can't miss that. I bet he floats!

Coop;)

Latest resources

Back