Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Oh-ryan

Occasional User
With many of the majors starting to fire up their recruiting machines I just wanted to get some opinions from you all regarding timing. I'm eligible to begin terminal leave/retirement in about 23 months (after 20 years of service). I know that is a bit out there, but I also know the importance of timing in this industry. My thinking is that some folks have waited for several months just to get an interview. The hiring process itself can also last a few months. Then, I've known people to wait several months to start class.

So, with this in mind, is it too soon to start completing applications or am I wasting my time as well as the time of the HR departments? I know things will start to pick up here soon, so maybe I am being overly conservative.

I am current and exceed the minimums for the majors. Thanks in advance.

With many of the majors starting to fire up their recruiting machines I just wanted to get some opinions from you all regarding timing. I'm eligible to begin terminal leave/retirement in about 23 months (after 20 years of service). I know that is a bit out there, but I also know the importance of timing in this industry. My thinking is that some folks have waited for several months just to get an interview. The hiring process itself can also last a few months. Then, I've known people to wait several months to start class.

So, with this in mind, is it too soon to start completing applications or am I wasting my time as well as the time of the HR departments? I know things will start to pick up here soon, so maybe I am being overly conservative.

I am current and exceed the minimums for the majors. Thanks in advance.

It's never too soon. Took two years and many many applications before I got my first phone call. Having it in shows want for the job too, vice just dropping an app 4 months before terminal.

For date of availabitily you can keep adjusting as you get closer and get a better grasp of how terminal leave and everything will shake out. Also start networking now. This will also get you started.

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/military/56541-timing-your-exit-2011-update.html

http://www.airlinepilotforums.com/hiring-news/73838-avoiding-square-corners.html

Latest resources

Back