Tips for a reserve bum...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Vandal

Ok been trying this reserve bum thing for a couple of months now and am having a heck of a time staying paid...any guys have any good tips for your average bum? TPs are rapidly dwindling...

Go to the desert with your squadron or another. Volunteer for a desk job over there like Tactics, Scheduler, etc... not like that seems fun put it will pay the bills. Vandal you aree flying -130s right? PM where you are at.

Or you could get a civilian job as intended?.... That's a far fetched concept for a Guard/Reserve baby.....
:beer:

beer

find out what the scheduler drinks and drop him a case every now and again. Or hire a private detective to get dirt on your scheduler and blackmail him. MPA mandays are your friend and you need to be on any JAATT that leaves your base. Do you have a lot of bums that you're in competition with?

Volunteer for every TDY and Go to the Desert. If you thought you could Bum and stay at home, I think you were mistaken. MAke it known to your scheduler that you are available short notice. Become one of the GoTo Guys.

Vandal - Slacker's idea will work...but its costly :)

Network! Network! Network! You were on AD right? Try what I did - I talked to the AD folks before I got demobilized and got a job with guaranteed 2 weeks (albeit VERY SH*TTY work these days) of MPA a month. AD has lost many of it's mandays - but Functional Commands like TRANSCOM and SOCOM and reg commands like CENTCOM still have slots.

There are jobs out there on the AFRC site. I have a buddy that does 3-6 months a year in Germany as the DO of whatever they call that op.

Try contacting folks that did the air defense gig....talk to TACC folks....JATTs.....and you can also get man days to be the base ORI or exercise dude.

Just throwing out some ideas.

Thanks fellas...Really want to head back to the desert. Sucks living there but the flying was awesome. Anyone here with deployed units that could use a 130 co?

Latest resources

Back