• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Third-Class Medical with Sleep Apnea?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
After I started CPAP I lost almost 70 pounds in less than a year!

Jim, with those results you almost make me want to give cpap another try.
What have you done to make friends with that machine?
I've tried both sleep and pain meds. I've tried whiskey; and I've tried drugs and whiskey. I put it on and watch TV during the day. I have all the different mask.
I put the thing in the closet about this time last year after my sleep dr gave up and canceled treatment. Told me to call him when I have a download with 45 days of cpap use. My gp and I fight about it every time we make contact.
I began walking in February and worked myself up to an hour every day. I then added light strength training. That is taking its toll on this old frame and I'm beginning to believe what the dr says that I will not be successful at weight loss until I get the apnea under control.
I would appreciate any input anyone may have on how you make friends with cpap.

I'm going through this now. I just had my sleep study, apnea is "severe" and I need a bipap machine that I am getting next week. My airline's medical dept has pulled me from the line and I have to jump through all the hoops to get the SI.

During the sleep study, the mask was extremely uncomfortable but I hope I'll get used to it but the fact that some can't worries me. Career is definitely on the line.

Stats: 49 year old, 5'9, 195 lbs (should be 170).

Well, didn't know it was a wrong to quote someone. Many have their preferences for forum posting.

The past two posts asked about how to get comfortable with the mask.

I started with Nasal Pillows.
That didn't work for long cause if you open your mouth, all the air goes right out of same. The suggesting chin strap didn't help.
Switched to the Quatro FX mask. Reason I went with this one, I can actually wear my glasses to get tired either surfing or watching a bit of TV prior to bed.
Purchased a travel Cpap, the Transcend. While its lighter and easier to travel with, the A-pap wasn't available at time of purchase. Humidity is an issue with this machine, or I should say Lack of it.
In consulting with a buddy who instructs and has Apnea, he suggested I take my home unit on the road and try the pillows again.
Pillows failed, but the home unit is now allowing me to sleep 5-6 hrs a night on the machine. It's been nearly a year and I still don't enjoy sleeping with the mask on.
Ear plugs have helped. Took a few weeks to get use to sleeping with ear plugs.

Probably the hardest part is putting the mask back on once I wake in the middle of the night. Tend to want to take it off thinking I have had enough mask for the evening.

Another pilot I know sleeps without issue with the mask for close to 8 hrs a night.

My thought is, light sleepers will have issues and heavy sleepers, no issue.

Mask during sleep study with wires bubble gummed to your head in controlled sleep is understandable.

PS, I'm not a doctor but I do sleep at Holliday Inn Expresses a lot.

In any case, the FAA wants to see that the machine is working for you. They want to see the printout from the data card in the machine that shows you use it consistently for at least 6 hours a night..maybe 4, I don't remember. But you also have to show that it's bringing your AHI to 5 or lower.

Is that "5 or lower" figure an actual FAA requirement? I can't seem to find anything that tells me what numbers they're looking for.

After two weeks on the bipap, my AHI dropped dramatically from 89 to 6.8 and my AME sent everything to the FAA for an SI. My compliance is 100% averaging 6.5 hrs per night. I feel great!!

I hope that's enough because I my sick time has run out and I need to get back to work!!

IHF

Apnea

IHF,

I'm hardly an expert, but I know more than most.

The FAA needs certain things documented in a letter from your sleep dr or gp.
The 4 items don't mention any range of AHI's.
I think the crux is that there is no daytime sleepiness along with compliance, no heart issues and records from the machine showing 6 hrs a night for the majority of nights in a 31 day period.

Post what you find out.

My AME told me the CPAP usage requirement was:

CPAP report in the preceding 3 months ( covering more than 31 days, that show
(a) Greater than 75% of nights with >= 6 hours of usage.
(b) AHIs down below 6

I brought the CPAP printouts and letter from my family doctor. After the AME made a phone call to the FAA he was able to issue a certificate with an SI that day.

The SI (but not the whole physical) has to be renewed every year.

Latest resources

Back