• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thinking out loud on DHL and asking a few QQ's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I can see it now, Comair converting the RJs to combies.

There's very little belly lift out of CVG, due to the almost complete lack of wide-bodies. Sure, they could use lift to Hawaii and Europe, but they already do that now. The real problem is that DHL flies at night and Delta flies during the day. There's no way to utilize commercial passenger lift for a domestic operation, and there's not enough lift for an international operation.

Does not matter if Delta flies days and DHL flies at night. DHL does not care when or what day the freight gets there, they are a freight forwarder not express freight. Thats why they totally sucked and ruined the Airborne Express bussiness.

The cost of overnight packages is extremely high due to the time guarantee. If you can that, then the cost changes dramatically. DHL has kissed that off.
WE moved 500k lbs at Tigers of two day product and it never saw an aircraft. We flew 800k to 1.0 and had a fleet of aircraft, trucks, delivery people, etc.. Of the 1.0, maybe 50,000 was overnight by 10am. Allof our efforts and stress were related to that.

Does not matter if Delta flies days and DHL flies at night. DHL does not care when or what day the freight gets there, they are a freight forwarder not express freight. Thats why they totally sucked and ruined the Airborne Express bussiness.

It very much does matter, because day flying adds one day to the delivery. If you make Monday pickups, they won't be on an airplane until Tuesday, which means they won't be available for delivery until Wednesday. Won't work, not to mention the lack of containerized bellies.

I'm not sure if you're venting about DHL's service, or just sincerely don't know a thing about their business model, but they are an express parcel carrier. Express product drives their network. Who flies that network is a moot point as long as DHL controls the schedule, which they do.

It very much does matter, because day flying adds one day to the delivery. If you make Monday pickups, they won't be on an airplane until Tuesday, which means they won't be available for delivery until Wednesday. Won't work, not to mention the lack of containerized bellies.

I'm not sure if you're venting about DHL's service, or just sincerely don't know a thing about their business model, but they are an express parcel carrier. Express product drives their network. Who flies that network is a moot point as long as DHL controls the schedule, which they do.

DHL can barely control their bowels let alone a business model. They are not, never been or will be an express carrier. Their motto is "we will get it there sometime." I have watched them kill the express carrier. It was called ABX Air. International freight forwarding is not time critical for 99% of the product. Too expensive.

Joe Hete killed ABX Air(well he's not done yet). He turned down the 7.75 offer and now we all pay. ABX Air was to merge with Astar..........not be decapitated. Thanks Joe.

DHL can barely control their bowels let alone a business model. They are not, never been or will be an express carrier. Their motto is "we will get it there sometime." I have watched them kill the express carrier. It was called ABX Air. International freight forwarding is not time critical for 99% of the product. Too expensive.

:laugh: Funny stuff, and true.

Until I find new employment I am reminded everyday I come into work how DHL killed the #3 carrier in the USA by committing suicide because they just don't know what they are doing. It is making me barely control my bowels. :erm:

Last edited:
Joe Hete killed ABX Air(well he's not done yet). He turned down the 7.75 offer and now we all pay. ABX Air was to merge with Astar..........not be decapitated. Thanks Joe.

Wake up and smell the roses FB. With run up in fuel prices, the economy taking a dive and the inept management of DHL we would be in the same place even if Hete had accepted the $7.75. Your 727's burn way to much fuel for what they can carry, to say nothing of the 3 man crew. The only thing that might be different would be the type of aircraft DHL would be using once they go back to CVG and who would be flying them.

Wake up and smell the roses FB. With run up in fuel prices, the economy taking a dive and the inept management of DHL we would be in the same place even if Hete had accepted the $7.75. Your 727's burn way to much fuel for what they can carry, to say nothing of the 3 man crew. The only thing that might be different would be the type of aircraft DHL would be using once they go back to CVG and who would be flying them.

Well, here we go again! Domestic vs. supplemental, yeah, yeah...2 vs. 3 man crews, Cat II, blah, blah, blah.

Latest resources

Back