The switch from "Shuttle Craft" to "Mercury"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aa73

Shuttle America pilots: I understand the reasoning behind the call sign change (too similar to "Air Shuttle.") However, I'm trying to understand why "Mercury" was chosen? (as it has nothing to do with Shuttle America's name.) Thx.

Shuttle America pilots: I understand the reasoning behind the call sign change (too similar to "Air Shuttle.") However, I'm trying to understand why "Mercury" was chosen? (as it has nothing to do with Shuttle America's name.) Thx.

Try Googling Mercury. Or -gasp- opening a mythology book. Not a bad callsign for an airline.

Some bitterness exists still because the original Shuttle pilots feel that they got the shaft seniority-wise. On the other hand most other, RAH pilots feel that the Shuttle pilot's "poisoned" the group. Hence Mercury, as in Mercury Poisoning. I am just kidding, but really, I have been told that someone higher up always liked the Mercury Space Program.

I thought it was named after the toxic liquid metal.

Mercury is the name of the street that leads to the Shuttle America headquarters.
Mercury is what your mom put in your big bowl of frosted lead paint chips, she should have used anti freeze in your formula.
PBR

The former DO was a space and model rocket nut. That is what I heard it came from.

Latest resources

Back