Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Old Mans' Airline (thoughts and rants)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Kugelblitz

It has been a nice 2 years, and we all pretended that things were going to be the way they were for essentially the last 15 years prior to 9-11. You remember, the juggernauts; DAL, UAL, NWA, AA and to a lesser degree CAL, USair and SWA. Everyone out of bankruptcy, heck, even USAir was 'secured' by a merger with AWA.

But this isn't 1987.

After the dust cleared the 'troubled' air carriers (i.e. the afore mentioned juggernauts) even started to hire again. Remember the posts placed by the excited new hires or hopefuls?

NWA Interview gouge

UAL Newhire Crew Bases

DAL Class Dates

CAL New hire Equipment Breakdown

AA Recalls

But this isn't 1998

We were all off to begin our lucrative new career finally moving up to the airline the old man retired from. The family tradition continues.....

Only one problem, this isn't 1987,'92, or '95. This is 2007, the post 9-11 era, or the post-apocalypse to those of us in this industry. Besides massive layoffs, bankruptcies, contract give-backs, the TSA, and a humorless traveling public that now see's airline employees with the same regard as gypsies; oil is 5 times more expensive than when the old man flew that DC-10 at UAL for 30 years before retiring.

Now the carnage seems about to begin again. No amount of pretending UAL, DAL, and NWA are the same airlines my old man flew for will change the fact that these one-time juggernauts are on the edge of the abyss and the outcome this time may make 9-12 look like a mild recessionin the industry.

I feel for those of you who are just getting started in this career. Chances are the old airline that kept the old man away for your birthday, Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. either won't be here in a few years or the job will be so degraded that prestige and family tradition will be a long lost memory.

So good luck everybody, especially you newhires. Look on the airline financials with grim fascination as stocks are down graded, bankruptcies are filed, and 'mergers' put 1000's back out on the street, the preponderance of which are the ones who can least afford it. Oh, and those of you involved in the merger, be sure to demonize the other side;

They're not really pilots, certainly not (insert airline name here) material

They're lucky to have a job

They're all scabs

Hired not Acquired!

Remember, they are not human beings, they don't have families, or mortgages, or children like you, and if they do, they are inferior, undeserving and lucky to be in same sentence as your air carrier.

No, it isn't your old mans' airline and it isn't even same industry.

It has been a nice 2 years, and we all pretended that things were going to be the way they were for essentially the last 15 years prior to 9-11. You remember, the juggernauts; DAL, UAL, NWA, AA and to a lesser degree CAL, USair and SWA. Everyone out of bankruptcy, heck, even USAir was 'secured' by a merger with AWA.

But this isn't 1987.

After the dust cleared the 'troubled' air carriers (i.e. the afore mentioned juggernauts) even started to hire again. Remember the posts placed by the excited new hires or hopefuls?

NWA Interview gouge

UAL Newhire Crew Bases

DAL Class Dates

CAL New hire Equipment Breakdown

AA Recalls

But this isn't 1998

We were all off to begin our lucrative new career finally moving up to the airline the old man retired from. The family tradition continues.....

Only one problem, this isn't 1987,'92, or '95. This is 2007, the post 9-11 era, or the post-apocalypse to those of us in this industry. Besides massive layoffs, bankruptcies, contract give-backs, the TSA, and a humorless traveling public that now see's airline employees with the same regard as gypsies; oil is 5 times more expensive than when the old man flew that DC-10 at UAL for 30 years before retiring.

Now the carnage seems about to begin again. No amount of pretending UAL, DAL, and NWA are the same airlines my old man flew for will change the fact that these one-time juggernauts are on the edge of the abyss and the outcome this time may make 9-12 look like a mild recessionin the industry.

I feel for those of you who are just getting started in this career. Chances are the old airline that kept the old man away for your birthday, Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. either won't be here in a few years or the job will be so degraded that prestige and family tradition will be a long lost memory.

So good luck everybody, especially you newhires. Look on the airline financials with grim fascination as stocks are down graded, bankruptcies are filed, and 'mergers' put 1000's back out on the street, the preponderance of which are the ones who can least afford it. Oh, and those of you involved in the merger, be sure to demonize the other side;

They're not really pilots, certainly not (insert airline name here) material

They're lucky to have a job

They're all scabs

Hired not Acquired!

Remember, they are not human beings, they don't have families, or mortgages, or children like you, and if they do, they are inferior, undeserving and lucky to be in same sentence as your air carrier.

No, it isn't your old mans' airline and it isn't even same industry.

That's because your old man was a scab.;)

I beginning to kinda like the post 9-11 rectal exam by the TSA.

I would tend to agree with your sentiments; Twenty years ago, many 767 CA were making $14K a month. Now, after adjusting for inflation, they're making half of that amount . . . with shorter turns, crappier layovers, intrusive security, higher health care costs, and (often) a pillaged pension. . . .
I feel lik I achieved the goal I set when I was 19 years old of becoming an airline pilot, but maybe the goal we set at 19 isn't the same one we want at 40 .. . or 50 . . or 60. Like many of you, I am laying the groundwork for a probable career change. I'm sure there will be some aspects of it that I will miss, but there are many that I will not.

Hey PK,, love your avatar. Reminds me of what my mom used to comment about the anti-war protesters back in the 1970's: "G.D. Peace Lovers!!!!!"

I would tend to agree with your sentiments; Twenty years ago, many 767 CA were making $14K a month. Now, after adjusting for inflation, they're making half of that amount . . . with shorter turns, crappier layovers, intrusive security, higher health care costs, and (often) a pillaged pension. . . .
I feel lik I achieved the goal I set when I was 19 years old of becoming an airline pilot, but maybe the goal we set at 19 isn't the same one we want at 40 .. . or 50 . . or 60. Like many of you, I am laying the groundwork for a probable career change. I'm sure there will be some aspects of it that I will miss, but there are many that I will not.

Tell me the secret to changing careers! I was dumb enough to 'major' in flying airplanes at Parks College and the only job I have ever had was something along those lines. I have thought about flying corporate, I got scared away from that idea and I can't go back to school (family bread winner).

The 70's. How would you know? You were walking around in your star trek underrooes.

Remember sitting around 3WE as CFI's just waiting for the day we would make it to the big leagues. The dream job. Here we are buddy!!

Remember those nav lights are just for your safety.

The 70's. How would you know? You were walking around in your star trek underrooes.

Remember sitting around 3WE as CFI's just waiting for the day we would make it to the big leagues. The dream job. Here we are buddy!!

Remember those nav lights are just for your safety.

Absurd!!!

First of all, underoos were not invented yet!!!! I had full sized star trek PJ's with the Mr. Spock ear warmers!!!

You know that the whole world know's about this now.

Ty - aren't you sitting decent at AirTran as a B737 capt? Must be bad if you're thinking of changing careers. Though the company is playing hardball in the contract negotiations, from this outsider perspective I think you guys will survive in this topsy turvy industry.

Latest resources

Back