• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The next vote, December 20th

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah.......that one's about as old as jet engines have been around and usually doesn't specify seat.......

Yeah. It never amazes me how many uninformed people (especially reporters) still say "copilot". Never saw a Copilot License, or a guy who doesn't take off, fly, and land the plane as much as the "Pilot".

Yeah. It never amazes me how many uninformed people (especially reporters) still say "copilot". Never saw a Copilot License, or a guy who doesn't take off, fly, and land the plane as much as the "Pilot".

My own parents still ask me when I'll get to be a pilot. I've given up on trying to explain it for the hundredth time.

If this contract is approved, and IF many pilots leave, can NJA increase pilot compensation to stop the attrition? If so, how would that come about?

Yes. They can put everyone on PIC pay or raise the SIC pay to 80%.

$17 billion worth of airplanes are going to looks pretty stupid parked on ramps instead of flying because SIC shortage. ;).

$17 billion worth of airplanes are going to looks pretty stupid parked on ramps instead of flying because SIC shortage. ;).

Now there is some good thinking, 11 years and 80% of PIC pay, I would be ok with that, but 100K at 11 years is tough to accept. 120K wouldn't be such a punch in the throat.

Agreed...No self respcting, even margianally qualified pilot, would agree to work here knowing that will mathematically never upgrade here - no matter how old they are now.

Agreed...No self respcting, even margianally qualified pilot, would agree to work here knowing that will mathematically never upgrade here - no matter how old they are now.

Except a mandatory-retired 121 pilot who:

A) Has 3 ex-wives to pay off.

B) Had his pension raided by management and is stuck with PBGC pennies on the dollar.

C) Just really likes to fly for a buck and isn't ready to hang it up yet.

This is where the majority of new hires will come from over the next decade unless the FAA pulls their head out of their rectum and realizes that, if it is unsafe to pilot a 737 for United the day after you turn 65 (or 67, or whatever), then it is unsafe to pilot ANY aircraft for compensation after that age.

Either apply mandatory retirement to ALL compensated flying or have NO mandatory retirement at all.

PICK ONE.

Except a mandatory-retired 121 pilot who:

A) Has 3 ex-wives to pay off.

B) Had his pension raided by management and is stuck with PBGC pennies on the dollar.

C) Just really likes to fly for a buck and isn't ready to hang it up yet.

This is where the majority of new hires will come from over the next decade unless the FAA pulls their head out of their rectum and realizes that, if it is unsafe to pilot a 737 for United the day after you turn 65 (or 67, or whatever), then it is unsafe to pilot ANY aircraft for compensation after that age.

Either apply mandatory retirement to ALL compensated flying or have NO mandatory retirement at all.

PICK ONE.

Gut,

I gotta disagree with you here. First, I think having raised the retirement age to 65 is going to dry up that pool of pilots in a significant way for us, The aging process is unique to each of us, but there's a fairly big difference from someone coming out of the 121 world at 60 and someone at 65. That extra five years of income from the 121 world is a pretty big deal.

There are some who just aren't ready to hang it up yet. However, at the age of 65, if they don't really need the money I think a lot of those folks won't be sticking around here very long. The churn rate could potentially be huge for us amongst F/O's who are leaving for the airlines and retired 121 folks who, after just a year or two, discover just how difficult being a fractional pilot is for someone in their twilight years.

My experience is that people, in general, are fairly short sighted. Imagine you're a relatively young pilot with a little experience under your belt. Sure, you'd like to end up an airline pilot. But you've got bills to pay, and probably even some pretty big student loans still looming over your head. So you look at NJA's starting pay and that of the regionals (and let's not forget the bennies!). Yeah, the really smart ones will suck it up for a year or two and go fly for the regionals, get a quick upgrade and start racking up the PIC time the majors want. However, I think most will only see the money and bennies without really looking hard at upgrade times and be more than happy to come here.

Then there are the charter pilots as well as those of other fractionals who would love to work here (if our EMT were smart, they'd give preferential hiring to other fractional pilots).

All in all, I'm not convinced we'll have a hard time finding pilots outside of retired 121. The only thing I see being a big problem for us is the training pipeline. If we ever get into a growth phase again we're going to be really hurting. We simply don't have the training capacity to keep up with a healthy airline industry hiring away from us while trying to replace them AND hire for growth. It could get ugly. We'll see.

Latest resources

Back