• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"...the frac model simply doesn't work "

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I took a glance at Controller Aircraft sales.. Didn't see a single Netjets a/c for sale..(didn't look super hard, just hit up some Beechjets/Falcons and Citation products...)

Probably means nothing, but thought it was interesting. Used to always see a couple in there over the last few years.

I took a glance at Controller Aircraft sales.. Didn't see a single Netjets a/c for sale..(didn't look super hard, just hit up some Beechjets/Falcons and Citation products...)

Probably means nothing, but thought it was interesting. Used to always see a couple in there over the last few years.

We just took a handful of your old Hawkers off the market...

$200 Million is not much money ... for the amount of planes being operated... and the total number of employees....

I don't know how much BRK has invested in us.

We're turning a profit, but compared to other "Berkshire units" we're the red headed step-child. Burlington Santa FE, Geico, Mid American Energy, etc, they're all bringing in $600 million+ per quarter. Even Flight Safety, they reported a pretty good profit last year.

and here's Netjets, with what seems like an average yearly profit of $200 million/yr. I'm thinking, well at least we're profitable, and we're helping FSI report those healthy results, remember they do train 3500 NJA crew-members. If you add it up, pilots + F/As, U.S and NJE, its close to 3500 crew members they train twice a year.

We do help FSI's bottom line... maybe that's another reason for Mr. WB to keep us

Last edited:
CAL, consider too the advantage other BKS companies have in closing deals with the ability to cross the globe with ease due to NJA. That ability increases profit potential for all BKS companies who fly QS tails.

The frac business does work. Its a three part system.

Get profits from:

1. Monthly management fee's
2. Hourly fee's
3. Aircraft Sales

The frac business does work. Its a three part system.

Get profits from:

1. Monthly management fee's
2. Hourly fee's
3. Aircraft Sales

I agree

The model worked before it'll work again..... NJA and others didn't grow to all those airplanes out of coincidence..And it took the largest recession since the great depression to derail it short term.. Those that are down on the model saying it'll never be the same are short term thinkers.

Where are all the doom and gloom stock analists who predicted another recession worse than 2009... Far as I can tell we never revisited 6000. They were short term also

Last edited:
Keep in mind that I do not know anything about business. But it seems to me... Fractional will do exactly what Berkshire wants it to do.

1. Assume NJ has figured out how to make $200 Million profit operating NJ every year. And that BRK has $1Billion invested. That would be a 20% annual ROI.

2. $200 Million is about 4% of the $5 Billion in annual revenues. American Express is happy with 3% of the Cash that flows through their travel cards. Why shouldn't BRK be happy with 4%?

3. Berkshire is in the insurance business. They are good at evaluating risk. But you know they don't like volatility. So how much Risk and liability is there in running a large global fractional airline?

I am guessing there was a lot more than they wanted the way Santulli was running it.

So I think they will change the mix of Cards, Fractional, and EJM management ... Rate of growth and things I can't even imagine to create a stable ROI and cut in the cashflow. I think this means no rapid expansion.

Keep in mind that I do not know anything about business. But it seems to me... Fractional will do exactly what Berkshire wants it to do.

1. Assume NJ has figured out how to make $200 Million profit operating NJ every year. And that BRK has $1Billion invested. That would be a 20% annual ROI.

2. $200 Million is about 4% of the $5 Billion in annual revenues. American Express is happy with 3% of the Cash that flows through their travel cards. Why shouldn't BRK be happy with 4%?

3. Berkshire is in the insurance business. They are good at evaluating risk. But you know they don't like volatility. So how much Risk and liability is there in running a large global fractional airline?

I am guessing there was a lot more than they wanted the way Santulli was running it.

So I think they will change the mix of Cards, Fractional, and EJM management ... Rate of growth and things I can't even imagine to create a stable ROI and cut in the cashflow. I think this means no rapid expansion.

I agree with you to a point.... Rapid expansion is not sustainable, especially for the size limitations of the market...

But on another note, I don't see NJA (or Berkshire) attempting to limit the amount of business that may (or may not) come their way when all this economy stuff turns completely to the positive.. (which it will do eventually, and then some years later we'll experience another recession floolowed by growth again. It's all cyclical)... It's not complete rocket science.....Have plane/will sell.... NJA recieves planes, sells shares, charges for it's use, crews, maintenance, and then eventually sells those planes for a hopeful profit... It just so happens that in 2009 and beyond we've hit a major speed bump... (but eventually the speed bump will be a thing of the past....)

Latest resources

Back