the dream gone forever?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just go to where they are still paying good money to do the gig, I say

There is something to be said for this simple statement.

and its not in the domestic passenger ops - not at $130 Oil...

not good.

I agree with your post...except for one thing. Humans have always been pretty resiliant as a society. If something doesn't change then yes we are all doomed as a society...not just aviation but the economy as a whole. I am willing to bet that in five years airplanes will be running on something other than crude being shipped from overseas. The military is already testing synthetic fuels and some companies are testing biofules. When push comes to shove there is always a way. Airlines are fuel consumers like no other companies on Earth. I bet Airplanes will be running on something different soon...it's just a matter of who took advantage of the opportunity and who is left to fly around.
you are completely right. In two years we will have electric cars, and in three we will have hydrogen cars that are completely renewable. we don't need to be completely off oil we need just to reduce demand for it and as time goes by we wont need oil. I know we going to run out oil someday, but i find it hard to believe that we are just going sit by and let our world implode. If all the peak oil stuff happens last thing we need to worry about is what job or degree you have.

At some point in the future, it will be TRAINS.
As soon as we learn how to build a decent rail system.
May be 3, 5 or 35 years from now, but it will happen.
Mag-lev, nuclear power plants, the whole deal.

Jeezus...after reading this I'm thinking of quitting and going into the military.

Good the USAF needs Instructors to fly 172's in Iraq for 365 days at a time. I am not sure how to say, "Aimpoint, Airspeed, more left wing down & right rudder for the crosswind" in Arabic, but I am sure they will teach you. I know a couple people there right now that can't wait for you to get there and replace them. Let's keep some perspective people and not forget we are still fighting two wars and a lot of people are not around to kiss their kids. The retirement and benefits are great, but you definitely earn them after 20 years.

At some point in the future, it will be TRAINS.
As soon as we learn how to build a decent rail system.
May be 3, 5 or 35 years from now, but it will happen.
Mag-lev, nuclear power plants, the whole deal.

I knew it was only a matter of time before "Mag-Lev" came up....

I think AVRO FO hit it pretty much right on the head for me. I love to fly and have wanted to be an airline pilot my entire life. But right now I'm pretty burnt out on flying. My desire to go to a major is all but gone and the lifestyle I thought I'd like, it turns out I hate. I like being home every night. Even though the flying job I have now allows that, I'm still thinking about doing something else in electronics/computers for a while and just flying part time to see how it feels. After growing up in a TWA family and seeing what it was, it's quite the downer to see where it is now. I'm going to finish up my degree...finally, and go from there. Good luck to all.

It is not the job.
My father-in-law lost his business after 9/11. Home Depot moved all of their suppliers to Mexico. He lost his big contracts and everything went South. It sucks trying to start over at 56 years old. Same here. Our Issues is our ease of new pilots entering the industry and our ability to work for multiple companies. Make ones seniority list and give us all the ability to move around and sell our services like a Dr. or Lawyer can do, and we will see a huge increase in QOL, and longevity of this job.
Problem is now we are tied to a company that the hedge fund managers and our managers play with for a few years and then dump. We should not be penalized for this. If this happens in the normal world, you just get another job. Generally at equal or better pay. You have skills and experience that demands that. we do to.

Ah, just like that eh? How many years have most of us had applications at UPS/FDX anyway? I've almost lost count....

Think outside of the box. UPS/FDX aren't the only good jobs in the world. There are plenty of good paying jobs overseas. Going rate for ATR and CRJ capts hovers around $10,000/month and more for larger equipment. I'd recommend a flying job outside of the USA to anybody who can do it. There is a serious shortage of qualified airline capts all over the world (excluding the USA) and airlines that are willing to pay well for experienced pilots. Personally I'm planning on staying mobile and chasing the cash and enjoying the adventure for the forseeable future.

Latest resources

Back