Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The deal is done: Continental and United airlines have agreed to merge.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Because they will get booted from their seats by the mainline pilots who own that flying in the first place?

Best case, the larger RJ numbers will be capped at current levels.... tough break bro....looks like those large RJ days in UA colors at regionals might be over..... so sad.
or, it just may go the other direction and the end of Continental's 50 seat scope limits... May work out well for CoEx... deffinatley bad for Mesa though *sniff, sniff*... I don't see too good of an outcome for the Continental pilots either....I'm just sayin'

or, it just may go the other direction and the end of Continental's 50 seat scope limits... May work out well for CoEx... deffinatley bad for Mesa though *sniff, sniff*... I don't see too good of an outcome for the Continental pilots either....I'm just sayin'

Why would this not work out well for CAL pilots? The DAL/NWA pilots did an excellent job showing what can be done when both sides come together and do things right (except scope). The only people that should be worried in this deal are those flying the 70's. So far, I've been very satisfied with the communication coming from both MEC offices. They both seem to realize what is at stake and I, for once, am optimistic. The outsourcing has to stop and I know of NO pilots at the regionals that care to retire from one.

Why would this not work out well for CAL pilots? The DAL/NWA pilots did an excellent job showing what can be done when both sides come together and do things right (except scope). The only people that should be worried in this deal are those flying the 70's. So far, I've been very satisfied with the communication coming from both MEC offices. They both seem to realize what is at stake and I, for once, am optimistic. The outsourcing has to stop and I know of NO pilots at the regionals that care to retire from one.

Ok but you do realize that your pilots have to give up something in exchange for scope? As you said, Delta did everything right except for scope, because it's hard. The question is what are UA pilots willing to give up?

Ok but you do realize that your pilots have to give up something in exchange for scope? As you said, Delta did everything right except for scope, because it's hard. The question is what are UA pilots willing to give up?

We're done giving anything up. We've been bending over the last 10 years. It's over.

Ummmmm, no I don't understand that at all. There will be no giving anything up here I can tell you. We might not get exactly what we want with regards to scope but we will be getting a joint contract that sets the bar higher for the legacy carriers going forward. I will not be able to look my DAL friends in the eye if we don't do at least that for them and the others like AA. I wouldn't want to be a regional pilot right now. The good news is that if we do make headway in the scope department, new jobs will be created at the mainline which is GOOD for regional pilots. I predict hiring at the new UAL after 2014. Good for the regional lifers who lack the college degree etc. to go to CAL/UAL/DAL/AA/UPS/FDX as they might move up when those qualified get picked up by UAL.

. I wouldn't want to be a regional pilot right now. .

Well don't get too excited. The merger hasn't even been approved, and if you noticed any media coverage yesterday, the public sentiment of this merger was largely negative. If there's any significant change to scope it won't take effect for years as UAX is more than half of UA ops.

Well don't get too excited. The merger hasn't even been approved, and if you noticed any media coverage yesterday, the public sentiment of this merger was largely negative. If there's any significant change to scope it won't take effect for years as UAX is more than half of UA ops.

There was largely negative press regarding the DAL/NWA deal as well. When you get ******************************bags on tv whining about airfares and frequent flier miles, that's all you're going to hear. I have no sympathy for Joe Schmoe, the vacationer, that expects to fly to FL for 99 bucks. As for the Wall Street types, everything I saw was favorable.

The public sentiment has nothing to do with this merger being passed or not. The public is complaining about the possibility of increased airfares all the while totally ignorant to the fact that we are coming off a 10 year low in the cost of air travel. The public needs to realize that air travel is not a "right". You can't drive one way across the country for what a typical round-trip ticket costs on just about any airline these days. For once the airlines are addressing the revenue side of the equation vs. continuing down the path of beating down costs and you make statements like that above? Do you want to spend the rest of your career flying 70-85 seat jets around the country for less pay because the airlines have been successful in labeling them "regional"? There is a lawsuit right now addressing this very thing. It seems that the airlines not only get favorable labor rates by labeling the jets as "regional" but the aircraft companies building these jets also benefit from the tax incentives involved in the process. Boeing and Airbus are not happy about it either.

The public opinion doesn't matter for merger approval. The Department of Justice looks at anti-trust issues. This will be approved. But maybe the legal departments at UAL and CAL are missing something that you see. Let's see, go with two high powered corporate legal departments, or a career RJ pilot.............hmmmmmm.

I choose the two high powered corporate legal departments. I think I have to agree with them on the deal will meet little legal resistance.

Latest resources

Back