Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Airline Pilot Hat: What will become of it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rez O. Lewshun

Save the Profession
No doubt pilots are enjoying the ability to shun their hats. It is easier and comfortable without it. Then again, being a professional isn't about being easy or comfortable.

Here is an article on the iconic doctors white coat
http://www.healthleadersmedia.com/pr...ts-for-Doctors

While the argument, in the article, against the white doctors coat includes transferring germs/disease and creating anxiety in patients, these traits are not applicable to the pilot hats. In fact one could argue that the Airline Hat can reassure passengers, especially in the rare evacuation. Excerpts from the article include:
The politics of the iconic white coat runs deep in most institutions' hierarchy and tradition.

the white coat length is akin to the military stripes, representing a badge of rank.

students undergo their "white coat ceremony," a robing ritual marking students' official welcome to medicine, according to Spiegel.

The purpose of the white coat isn't simply to reinforce the pecking order. Perhaps most importantly, the white coat serves as an identifier.
"Those of us who work there can identify quickly who is and is not qualified," Spiegel said. "At my institution, if you see someone in a short coat, it's going to be a student; you wouldn't expect them to take a responsibility role in patient care, [but] more of a learning role," he says.

As management continues to devalue the pilot profession which includes blending us in with other airline workers as the same (such as gate agents and FAs)..... This is already being effectively done at Jetblue and Virgin America.
Consider:
[John Q. Public approaches an Air Line Pilot]

John Q. Public- Are you an airline pilot?
Pilot- yes, why do you ask?
JQP- it isn't as easy to recognize you guys so much, you don't wear your hats
Pilot- it isn't required like it used to be
JQP- really? as a kid growing up I could always spot you guys, now, its harder, often you just look like businessmen or even Flight Attendants.
Pilot- (sarcastic tone) How flattering, times change I guess
JQP- How come I see you guys wearing hats in the newspaper?
Pilot- what do you mean?
JQP- Well you are carrying signs and wearing hats.
Pilot- That is probably picketing.
JQP- What's that?
Pilot- That is when we get together and demonstrate for better pay and work rules.
JQP- So whats the difference?
Pilot- er, uh, I don't follow....??
JQP- Well, what is the difference between picketing and everyday? Is picketing real or just an act?
Pilot- No, its real.
JQP- Then why not be consistently genuine?
Pilot- er...... uh..... I've got a flight to catch....

Consider some fictitious conversation? I think not.

Hats mean nothing. Lab coats mean something, just like the epaulets on our shirts.

You want to wear a hat, fine, you won't get grief from me.

Don't claim it's unprofessional to not wear a hat.

Last edited:
Consider some fictitious conversation? I think not.

Hats mean nothing. Lab coats mean something, just like the epaulets on our shirts.
Actually no. The White Doctor coat signifies qualification and at times rank. The hat indicates pilot, not FA or gate agent, and the visor leaves indicate rank.

You want to wear a hat, fine, you won't get grief from me.

Don't claim it's unprofessional to not wear a hat.

Perhaps. I am sure pilots can safely and professionally fly jets in their jogging outfit. In fact many do in the freight airlines. Many pilots that fly pax loosen or remove their ties. They still fly like a pro.

However, A Delta or any pilot showing up at the gate in a Delta Jogging Suit as a uniform just isn't going to fly. Try it.

Fact is... image is everything, if not something.

Whenever an advertising/marketing agency uses the image of an airline pilot it is done with the hat. It is the iconic symbol of an Air Line Pilot. If we lose that uniqueness then we are just airport employees and will be paid as such.....

Last edited:
If you wear a hat and suck as a pilot and corporate representative............. are you still professional?

Lose the hat.

Gup

If you wear a hat and suck as a pilot and corporate representative............. are you still professional?

Lose the hat.

Gup
Even SWA on its timetables has had pilots wearing the hat. It is about image, not cockpit performance.

Uhhh, no.

Thats the issue, the sucky pilots are covering up their weakness with your perceived "fact" that the hat makes them oh so much superior and better.

No, hats mean nothing, get over it. I don't care if you can't fly a Delta jet without one, just curious is there a no hat sensor in the cockpit?

The airline hat and uniform are the only dignity an airline pilot has left. Pay,retirement and benefits have been all taken away. Maybe eventually we will all be wearing t-shirts with the airline epaulets and tie painted on them along with flip flops.

However, A Delta or any pilot showing up at the gate in a Delta Jogging Suit as a uniform just isn't going to fly. Try it.

Whenever an advertising/marketing agency uses the image of an airline pilot it is done with the hat. It is the iconic symbol of an Air Line Pilot. If we lose that uniqueness then we are just airport employees and will be paid as such.....

What about the jacket?? Delta doesn't wear those half the time.

Latest resources

Back