Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Airline Hat: what will become of it?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rez O. Lewshun

Save the Profession
No doubt pilots are enjoying the ability to shun their hats. It is easier and comfortable without it. Then again, being a professional isn't about being easy or comfortable.

Here is an article on the iconic doctors white coat
http://www.healthleadersmedia.com/p...bate-the-Pros-Cons-of-White-Coats-for-Doctors

While the argument, in the article, against the white doctors coat includes transferring germs/disease and creating anxiety in patients, these traits are not applicable to the pilot hats. In fact one could argue that the Airline Hat can reassure passengers, especially in the rare evacuation. Excerpts from the article include:

The politics of the iconic white coat runs deep in most institutions' hierarchy and tradition.

the white coat length is akin to the military stripes, representing a badge of rank.

students undergo their "white coat ceremony," a robing ritual marking students' official welcome to medicine, according to Spiegel.

The purpose of the white coat isn't simply to reinforce the pecking order. Perhaps most importantly, the white coat serves as an identifier.
"Those of us who work there can identify quickly who is and is not qualified," Spiegel said. "At my institution, if you see someone in a short coat, it's going to be a student; you wouldn't expect them to take a responsibility role in patient care, [but] more of a learning role," he says.

As management continues to devalue the pilot profession which includes blending us in with other airline workers as the same (such as gate agents and FAs)..... This is already being effectively done at Jetblue and Virgin America.

Consider:

[John Q. Public approaches an Air Line Pilot]

John Q. Public- Are you an airline pilot?
Pilot- yes, why do you ask?
JQP- it isn't as easy to recognize you guys so much, you don't wear your hats
Pilot- it isn't required like it used to be
JQP- really? as a kid growing up I could always spot you guys, now, its harder, often you just look like businessmen or even Flight Attendants.
Pilot- (sarcastic tone) How flattering, times change I guess
JQP- How come I see you guys wearing hats in the newspaper?
Pilot- what do you mean?
JQP- Well you are carrying signs and wearing hats.
Pilot- That is probably picketing.
JQP- What's that?
Pilot- That is when we get together and demonstrate for better pay and work rules.
JQP- So whats the difference?
Pilot- er, uh, I don't follow....??
JQP- Well, what is the difference between picketing and everyday? Is picketing real or just an act?
Pilot- No, its real.
JQP- Then why not be consistently genuine?
Pilot- er...... uh..... I've got a flight to catch....

I have to wear mine. It's my filing system. Cell phone, ID, keys, pen & pencil, pairing, gum & change all go in each night in the hotel. Besides, chicks dig the hat, right??

Maybe the DAL MEC can trade something for it in the next contract so as not to have to wear it any more.
Like it or not, the leather jacket is quickly becoming the "white coat" of the industry.

Rez, how about a thread titled: "The Airline mustache: what will become of it?"
:)

Res,

The only thing certain is change.

Hats don't make the pilot.

Neither does ALPA.

Both are out of date and out of touch.

Time to move on........

John Q. Public- Are you an airline pilot?

Pilot- Yes, why do you ask?

JQP- It isn't as easy to recognize you guys so much, you don't wear your hats.

Pilot- That's funny you don't appear to be a blind man, so can I assume you are just too stupid to recognize this Uniform with the stripes, and epaulets, and wings ? You guys are much harder to spot now that they took the Big "L" off your foreheads....

Last edited:
In fact one could argue that the Airline Hat can reassure passengers, especially in the rare evacuation.

Um, yeah...I'm sure the FIRST thing an airline pilot will do during an evacuation is put on his dorky, antiquated, toolbag hat.

When I used to have to have to wear the hat - I kept getting confused with a skycap - now no hat - no more confusion.

At airlines where the hat is optional - it is strictly reserved for the guy who has yet to get over himself.

john q. Public- are you an airline pilot?

Pilot- yes, why do you ask?

Jqp- it isn't as easy to recognize you guys so much, you don't wear your hats.

Pilot- that's funny you don't appear to be a blind man, so can i assume you are just too stupid to recognize this uniform with the stripes, and epaulets, and wings ? You guys are much harder to spot now that they took the big "l" off your foreheads....

lmfao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back