Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Troy208

A question for those who may know.

Im thinking about applying to the regionals, but some people have told me I dont have a chance because I'm a US resident.

I have some questions, and any feedback will be appreciated.

What is the policy (spoken or unspoken) at regionals airlines regarding the hiring of US residents (green card holders) with respect to the rules regarding simulator training in aircraft weighing more than 12500 pounds?.

How are the airlines dealing with this situation during the interview process?.

Will the new rule (see link) effective Mon 17th change any hiring policies ?.

http://www.aviationnow.com/avnow/news/channel_aviationdaily_story.jsp?id=news/doj02143.xml

Thanx in advance

Wiggums, that site is now under construction till a final ruling has been made. Do you have any other links that might shed a light on things to come?

The rule can be found under 28CFR part 105

the "aviationnow.com" article is a little incorrect:

To qualify for the expedited processing, you do not have to have a type rating, but you need to be current and qualified (as a PIC, SIC or FE) on a airplane weighing 12,500lbs or more.

good luck

This is second-hand info but a friend of mine just interviewed with Chautauqua. In his group was an Icelander who said that the company was aware of his non-citizen status and that they were willing to help him get the necessary aprovals. It would just take him a little longer to start. I don't know if he got the job (my friend did) but I don't think they'd interview him if they weren't interested.

I guess we'll have to see how "extensive" a background check they're going to need and whether they make it easy or hard on the airlines to help a new-hire out.

The final ruling has been made and background checks will start via the website on March 17. Read the final ruling and other good stuff on this page. If the website I posted earlier is up and running Monday we're all set.

Last edited:
sooooo...March 17 is here. did this all work out? i have a few friends that were hired by ACA, but unable to do more than desk jobs until this is all sorted out...just curious.

You have a better chance getting on an airline that doesn't cross the borders. PCL flushed a guy in training because he had a work visa, but not full resident status. Meaning he couldn't freely exit and re-enter, and PCL flies into Canada, and possibly Mexico again.

Latest resources

Back