Test Pilot School Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Winged Sig 599

Here is another question for you guard fighter types: Is it possible to apply for Test Pilot School if you are a guard fighter pilot? I kinow there is a 1000 hour minimum to apply, but was wondering if there was a commissioning source stipulation. i.e. only active duty types allowed to apply, etc.
Thanks-
Winged Sig

I guess my question would be, is there a Guard requirement for test pilots out there? If not, why would there be Guard folks in school? My service (Army) was looking for a utilization assignment at the school, Edwards AFB, or Ft Rucker following graduation and did not send reserve component folks to the test pilot school.

No

If you want to be a test pilot, you need to transfer to active duty (AD). As an ANG pilot you are matched up with a resourse code. If you wanted to switch ANG units, you would need to find a unit with the same code. When it comes to the jobs that work side by side with AD, say the guys at Tyndall AFB, they actually are assigned to the Florida National Guard with actual codes for there positions. I doubt the California ANG has these positions at TPS.

We had a guy in our reserve squadron (flying T-38s) go back to the TPS as an IMA to teach at the school and fly T-38s. He was a TPS grad and a B-2 test pilot. He also flies for one of the majors.

Guard dude at ED

I know of at least one "Guard Baby" who was never active duty before he went to TPS. He is now flying test at ED (his wife is a flight surgeon at my Guard unit). Said dude has a masters from MIT in EE and is rumored to have built a functioning radar in his garage. I think he got a four year AD tour out of the deal. So yes, it is possible.

bet it have everything to do with how bad the mil needs people in that position at the time he/she applies.

Latest resources

Back