Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

generaltso

Marcy Projects
What is your take on telling your current employer that you will be interviewing elsewhere? I fly for a 135 operation, the owner is pretty cheap and is kind of screwing me over. Low pay, on call every day... didn't fly? - it was a day off. No cell reimburse, no per diem on the road (just expenses). Come in and do office stuff on your off days. etc, etc... typical low end part 135 operator.

Anyway, I am looking to get out and am wondering if I should tell them I am interviewing.

On the one hand, I want to do the ethical thing and tell them I am interviewing so they can start looking for a replacement.

On the other hand, they haven't done me any favors. What if I tell them I am interviewing and don't get any job offers and they end up finding a replacement anyway? They won't hesitate to get rid of me once they know I don't really want to work there.

I don't want to burn any bridges, but I don't want to screw myself. I am leaning toward not telling them until I have an offer. Hopefully there will be a couple weeks in between the offer and the class date.

Any thoughts?

The ethical thing to do is tell them exactly what you're doing. The safe thing to do is tell them "Gramma is sick and I need to visit for a few days" or something to that affect.
Seriously, make sure you always have an out before you rock the boat at your current job. I worked at a slave driver 135 as well. When I interviewed for my current job, I told them that I was going to do contract work. This particular excuse worked for me because it was really slow and all of the Capt's were fighting for work. One less complaining mouth wasn't missed for a few days!

I would recommend not telling them you are interviewing.

I worked at three different charter operators. When the time came to move to greener pastures, I gave the heads up to all three employers. The first two acted as if I was a traitor for even considering leaving, and made my remaining time in their employment somewhat uncomfortable. However, my last employer was very gracious and understanding when I told him I'd be leaving his employment to go to my current position. In fact, he was very supportive and let me leave on my time frame.

It just depends on what kind of individual you are dealing with. It sounds like the guy isn't really all that upstanding. Doing the right thing in this case just means giving two weeks' notice.

I'm with English on this one.......Don't say a thing. At the last place I worked, which sounds similar to your job, did'nt react well when I told them I had an interview and threatened to fire me and start looking for my replacement. I thought I was being courteous and honest by giving them a heads up. It ended up just making my life hell and creating alot of distrust and tension in the hanger. I did'nt get the job and I then had to worry about losing the one I had. As you can imagine......IT SUCKED! Tell em your second cousins granddaddys aunt passed away or you got the gonaherpasyplaids :eek:and need to go see the doc. You get the picture. But DO give the two weeks and shake hands on your way out the door no matter how bad the job sucked.

Best of luck to ya!

S.H.

Form you own opinion

If you are interviewing , taking time off to go do so and things at work are not going well with the whole company? I am pretty sure that the boss has added it up already that you are ready to bolt out of there. If he has not gotten it figured out, then he will when you turn in your 2 weeks notice.
I would not tell him I was interviewing or anything else. Keep plugging away like you are going to stay forever. If things do not get better and you nail an interview, drop that resignation on his desk. Tell him that you are being called to work elsewhere and would be happy to assist in training a replacement or the two of you can talk over a new contract which would include the items you had mentioned in your original posting.

...but hey, that is what I would do.

Don't lie, but don't volunteer more info than necessary

Don't lie to your current employer. When requesting time off to do your interviews, just say that it is for "personal reasons" or "to spend some time with your family."

Unless you're the first person working for this guy, he's been through this before. I'm sure that he knows the signs of an employer getting ready to leave. Be upfront and honest, but don't volunteer more information than you need to inorder to take care of your business.

Uncle Sparky said:
The ethical thing to do is tell them exactly what you're doing. The safe thing to do is tell them "Gramma is sick and I need to visit for a few days" or something to that affect.
Seriously, make sure you always have an out before you rock the boat at your current job. I worked at a slave driver 135 as well. When I interviewed for my current job, I told them that I was going to do contract work. This particular excuse worked for me because it was really slow and all of the Capt's were fighting for work. One less complaining mouth wasn't missed for a few days!
If I would have known that, I would have turned your @$$ in! :D

call in sick

That is what sick days are for.

You don't have an ethical or moral obligation to tell your current employer that you are looking for another job if you do your job searching on your time. What you do on your own time is your business. This being said, if you tell your employer that you are currently looking for a better job offer, he will tell you you are no longer needed and replace you before you leave the front gate. This is why they make two week notice.

Dont tell ANYONE you are interviewing.

Its nobodys business but yours.

The only ethical obligation you have is to give as much notice as you can once you accept the other job. Minimum 2 weeks - if the job offer pends on you needing to give less -- its a $hit job also and you dont want it.

How much notice you think that $hitbag 135 outfit would give YOU if they were closing shop???

...about 30 seconds notice.

Dont be crazy, keep your interviewing to yourself.

Golden Rule:

Look out for #1 in this business.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back