Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CF34-3B1

Anyone use one in a CRJ?

Thoughts on it? Is the ANR enough to use without earplugs?

More importantly, does the ANR work with the hotmike off? Since it's powered by mic bias, I'm wondering if you'd have to leave the PTT in the hotmike position, which seems pretty rude to the other pilot.

I just started using the Telex 850 in the ERJ.

The hot mic can be turned off and the ANR will still work.

Anyone that has flown the ERJ can tell you the noise in that cockpit is a bit much. I currently use earplugs with the headset because it does not cancel out the wind noise.

The headset also includes the ability to turn the ANR on and off and I can certainly tell the difference. The headset also includes a low/high volume switch which comes in handy when using the ear plugs. Set it to high with the plugs and leave the audio panel like normal. Much nicer than using the brain crushing David-Clarks.

There is also an adjustment to set the mic sensitivity. I tweeked mine down just right so I can barely tell the difference between the hot mic being on or off. Seems to be a good investment to me. Best of luck.

It seems kind of strange to spend so much money on a nice headset and then be forced to wear earplugs because the headset really isn't that great. Is there a good headset that actually works?

I use one and it works fine. No earplugs required in the CRJ.

cl-65link said:
I use one and it works fine. No earplugs required in the CRJ.
The original question was, does it still work well with the hot mike off? I tried one on the other day and like it lot, but haven't tested it in the plane. Should I drop 400 bucks based on your word or splurge and get the Bose which will work independent of the intercom?

Bose!

Tax deductable and Radio-Disney never sounded so good! If you listen to AM radio all day there is no substitute for the Bose.

I use a Sennheiser HMEC-25-KAS. It has ANR, dual volume controls and is very light. Total noise reduction of 30 db. Very little clamping pressure and folds up small to fit in the flight kit.
If you are an ALPA member you can get this for 12 equal payments with 0 interest from the ALPA web site.

I have used the Telex 850's for about a year... I really enjoyed them, the ANR works with and without the hot mic. I had mine set to the loud setting and turned down the volume on the panel. I did find though.. at 300+ Kts I still had to increase panel volume a bit. On the audio panel I needed the volume set to about the 2 O'clock postion

I changed to Sennheiser HMEC-25-KAP2 which are ANR and use the hot mic too. I found the volume level to be comfortable on the panel went down about 30% over the 850's. I now have the volume set to about the 10-11 O'clock position.

The deal on the ALPA mall is worth it if your a low paid FO and they are comparable in $$$ to the Telex 850's

Bottom line.. Telex 850's are a significantly better than the 750's, but like most things, there are even better ones to be had for the same $$$ or slightly more $$$

I'll second the recommendation for the Sennheiser HMEC-25KA. It works out to be about $40 a month, and that's something an underpaid FO can even afford.

I seriously cannot hear anything with the ANR on. It's dead quiet. I forgot to turn the ANR on once and still didn't think anything was terribly loud.

The only drawback is that it needs 2 AA batteries. However, just buy a good pair of rechargeable batteries and carry a spare set and you'll be fine.

Latest resources

Back