tdturbo strikes again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

avbug

For those who remember the TDturbo rant some months back in which he bragged at length about flying into ice in his skylane to teach himself about "airflow degredation," he's back. This comment, directed squarely at me on another site, doesn't just just reiterate his pride in doing what he does, but launches an attack on everyone on Flightinfo for our absolute lack of professionalism.

It seems we're not willing to attend a seminar on icing with TDturbo, and are therefore far less professional, safe, and informed than he. Or so he says...

Or so the germans would have us believe.

Oh, BTW Avbug, for an unsafe pilot as you say I am, I find the Engine monitor a no-go item, just as the battery powered handheld GPS since I fly over mountains at night, over warm water with PFD's and rafts and experiment with airflow degradation in 100 thick layer in freezing temp to get a handle on how my plane reacts with a little ice on it. Yes, I did this on purpose with 6000 ft of 50 degree air under me and won't fly with anyone without icing experience. I have that now and lived without breaking a sweat because there was no danger. I am a better more knowlegable pilot as a result. You find fault in just about everything, maybe you need some help.

One more thing, it looks like not too many, as in 0, are interested in the Milwaukee confernce open to pilots to discuss saftey issues, all the top ATC people in the world will be there discussing their insights, something I won't miss. Nor will I miss any icing seminars, although I have attended most of them.

I am going as I do all local seminars, I must be a danger then, huh?

Not one is attending on flight info, for so called professional pilots, I sometimes wonder why us GA pilots put more into our training than they do. Granted they have proficiency checks, but this is different, it gives you the other sides perspective, something most pilots have no clue.

I gotta ask though, turbo...what great insights into handling airframe ice are you going to learn from the top ATC experts in the world? All of them...they'll all be there. I bet they have lots of airframe icing experience to share with you...not that you need it, you're far ahead of the rest of us.

I urge everyone to forgo professional, recurrent training now, and let tdturbo take over the job. After all, he did read a book, is attending a seminar, and flies his unprotected Skylane in ice to see what it does.

It's sad that we'll never achieve his level of understanding.

My Grandmother said something like; an abundant ego and to much pride can destroy a man just as fast as a noose.

RightPedal said:
My Grandmother said something like; an abundant ego and to much pride can destroy a man just as fast as a noose.

rightpedal, do you refer to TDTurbo, or to avbug?

Just kidding bug,
enigma

Avbug, there are so many levels I wish to comment on tdturbo post, I just do not know where to start.

I will just leave with the thought: Taking advice from a non-professional pilot who knowingly fly’s a non certified aircraft into icing conditions to "see what it will do" and then thinks it is a good thing... Well it just reminds me to order more accident/incident forms and film for the camera .

Walking away, shaking my head....

JAFI

Bug,

You've been on his tail for a while now. Why can't you just drop the issue? I don't really care. Same with Turbo, just zip it and you won't get the Bug response again. Just my opinion.

avbug said:
I urge everyone to forgo professional, recurrent training now, and let tdturbo take over the job. After all, he did read a book, is attending a seminar, and flies his unprotected Skylane in ice to see what it does.

It's sad that we'll never achieve his level of understanding.

I must have forgotten to tell about the time I packed one nacelle on my Apache with C4 so that I could experience a total engine loss. Man, that was a really cool experience. I climbed up to 5000feet so that I would have a lot of air underneath so that when the engine departed I could find a safe place to land. I wore a chute so that I could jump if the wing departed the airframe, but I wasn't worried, I also packed a reserve canopy and was wearing a full nomex suit. After I set off the C4, the airplane took on a crazy sort of tumbling, I was almost orgasmic as I took in the entire experience. Who could have ever known that taking part in a full blown (pun intended) engine failure, airframe failure and really BIG fire could be so exciting?

I blew the door ( my superior foresight had shown a need to rig the door just in case) and climbed out, gave my trusty Apache one last look and jumped into the night. Did I forget to mention the night part? Yeah I wanted to take advantage of every learning opportunity. After a three count, I pulled the cord, the canopy billowed out and stopped the descent, but I felt the need to, again, learn the maximum from this invaluabel experience, so I I just reached up and cut risers. After an initial rush, I pulled the backup cord and settled into a comfortable descent into the blackness that is Lake Ponchatrain at night. You see, I was thinking ahead. I wanted to gain every bit of experience. What better way to find out what it felt like to be totally SOL than to be descending into a swamp at night? Wrong, I still felt the need to experience more, so I cut away when I judged my height to be about 50 feet above the water. I touched down with a serious splash, bobbed to the surface and pulled the strap on my Mae West and comtemplated the amount that I had learned. That was when the biggest gator this size of an old Burt Reynolds movie stuck his nose above the water, Don't get ahead of me men, I was prepared. I pulled out my Crocidile Dundee knife and went mano a mano with the gator.

The gator won, I'm now stuck in purgatory for the eternally stupid.

Thanks to mr. enigma for allowing me to use his log in and relate my experiences.

Please, everybody, join in KEEP THIS GOING, tell us about how you trained yourself to handle the really important parts of your aviation experience.

RE: TdTurbo

Those who think they know everything about flying annoy the heck out of those of us who do.*

'Sled

*Said tongue firmly in cheek.

Lead Sled said:
Those who think they know everything about flying annoy the heck out of those of us who do.*

'Sled

*Said tongue firmly in cheek.
Actually, guys who think lesbians are hot, annoy the heck out of me. But that's just me...wtfdik? (what the fiddlefaddle do I know?).

Latest resources

Back