tax write off on watch?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bigsky

Just wondering if anyone had any good information on what is considered a legitimate tax write off? I am mainly interested in what is a 4000 dollar breitling pilot watch that is equipped with an E.L.T. The fact that it has the only personal ELT I am aware of seems to make it a legitimate peice of safety equipment( so what if it just happens to be surrounded by a fine swiss time piece)

no it has to be unscrewed- something like 50 turns and the antenae pulled out. I think Richard Branson has had to use his like 3 times.

what other kinds of things can you write off ? I think i need a new shotgun to defend my ac

bigsky said:
I think Richard Branson has had to use his like 3 times.

LOL! In more ways than one!

I don't know if I would write off four grand for this fancy watch. The IRS will probably ask you why you couldn't have bought a commercial EPRB, which is 1/8 the cost and puts out a more powerful signal. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if you deducted an EPRB and a Timex. They weren't born yesterday.

bigsky said:
Just wondering if anyone had any good information on what is considered a legitimate tax write off? I am mainly interested in what is a 4000 dollar breitling pilot watch that is equipped with an E.L.T. The fact that it has the only personal ELT I am aware of seems to make it a legitimate peice of safety equipment( so what if it just happens to be surrounded by a fine swiss time piece)

AB - SO - LUTELY. Any piece of equipment you use on a regular basis in your aviation job that is not reimbursed by your employer is tax deductible. Hel, I write off haircuts, shoeshines, laundry expense for my uniform shirts that I wash and iron myself, tips for van drivers, uniform pieces, my cell phone, my laptop (nearly every function at ATA is done on the web) and internet service, my AOPA and AirINC memberships (when I still was involved with that stuff), suitcases and flight bags, etc.

What is not tax deductible (and in conflict of what a number of airline pilots will tell you) is crash pad rent, commuting expense, a car in your crew base, and stripper tips on overnights (unless you engage her in conversation about PFT or Jets For Jobs).

All these items have been upheld by IRS tax courts. Have fun.

billybob said:
what other kinds of things can you write off ? I think i need a new shotgun to defend my ac

Don't laugh, I wrote off a rifle. At the time my job involved walking through Brown bear habitat. I Carried the rifle every day at work, so it was a job related expense.

Last edited:
Breitling Emergency Watch

Hey Big Sky:
Are you buying the Breitling Emergency or the Emergency Mission? The Emergency is the one with the digital window inside and comes in titanium or precious metal. The Emergency Mission just came out and it's a chronograph. I'm asking because I own one myself and my buddy is selling his because he wants the new Breitling Advenger. Breitling offers the first service free of charge. Every 2 years you have to send the watch back to breitling to get the ELT tested and serviced and the battery replaced. The watch has two separate batteries; one for the watch and one for the ELT itself.
I bought the watch new for him on an overnight in Dubai because at the time the watch was still illegal to sell in the states. It has the dark blue face with titanium casing. He just picked it up from the Breitling dealer after getting the full service from Breitling. The watch is practically brand new...not a scratch. If you're interested you can e-mail me at [email protected]

And yes, you can write it off. He wrote off an Omega SeaMaster Chronograph because it has a stop watch and he told the IRS auditor he used it to time approachs

Latest resources

Back