Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

414Flyer

Down with Chemtrails!
Tanker 99 crashed in California today while repositioning to the San Bernardino Tanker Base from Prescott AZ. Tanker 99 was a P2-V from Minden Air in Minden NV.

The aerial side of wildland firefighting is inherently dangerous, with planes and or helicopter pilots lost nearly each summer. I have done a season on the ground and another in the air, and any loss of wildland firefighters hits close to home.

t99web2.jpg

No plane crash is good news. Sad to see another fire fighting plane crash.

Has anybody heard from our resident poster that flies fire fighting aircraft? I hope he is o.k.

I think Avbug is who you are thinking of, and he flies the SEATs (Single Engine Air Tankers).

O.K. Thankyou, 414Flyer.

Avbug flies SEATs, heavies, and air attack platforms on fires. (Type I, II, III, and IV tankers, as well as air attack and other duties). It's a small community, and everybody knows everybody.

Always disapointing news. I thought we might get away without any more fatalities this year. Apparently not.

A different lot, these folks. Nobody ever likes to see this stuff and unfortunately it's all too regular in that area of aviation. I think of it more as sort of a mercenary outfit.

I'll relay the only real first-hand story on this subject I know of. Actually, I suppose it's second-hand. A friend of mine whose father has some pull in the forest service tired to get his son hired as a pilot in that outfit. None of those in charge would hire him because apparently they held his dad in too high regard and did not want to see him lose his son. Based on the very little I know about this business, I can't blame them.

A different lot, these folks. Nobody ever likes to see this stuff and unfortunately it's all too regular in that area of aviation. I think of it more as sort of a mercenary outfit.

I'll relay the only real first-hand story on this subject I know of. Actually, I suppose it's second-hand. A friend of mine whose father has some pull in the forest service tired to get his son hired as a pilot in that outfit. None of those in charge would hire him because apparently they held his dad in too high regard and did not want to see him lose his son. Based on the very little I know about this business, I can't blame them.
It's been 20 years since Tanker 99 went down. So sad ,,Pilot was very close friend .

Latest resources

Back