take-off minimums on DPs(sids)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bigsky

I am currently in sim training and before my type wanted to get this straight. All of training is in LAX. We are authorized in our op specs to take-off 5,5,5,( chart says 600,600,600)- however the new jepps all have a wx minimum listed on the all of the dp's which says you need to have "standard" wx mins- refer to airport chart. Standard is 1/2 for us but not sure if that is what they are really implying as I find it hard to believe we are limited to that off a cat 3 runway. Dont have any references with me and would appreciate some info!

The jepp charts normally will not list below standard T.O. mins except company specific issued charts. Many companies have these. As far as the Ops Specs are concerned, you have to be able to do standard T.O. mins to be authorized 'lower than standard'. There are many airports where the takeoff mins are higher than standard. And that is the absolute minimum.

bigsky said:
I am currently in sim training and before my type wanted to get this straight. All of training is in LAX. We are authorized in our op specs to take-off 5,5,5,( chart says 600,600,600)- however the new jepps all have a wx minimum listed on the all of the dp's which says you need to have "standard" wx mins- refer to airport chart. Standard is 1/2 for us but not sure if that is what they are really implying as I find it hard to believe we are limited to that off a cat 3 runway. Dont have any references with me and would appreciate some info!

I don't have the Jepps in front of me right now, but you bring up a potential gotcha. My company also has 5,5,5, but the gotcha is the airport has to have a SMGGS program for less than 600 RVR. Many airports have a chart for 600-1200 RVR, hence the limit at that airport is 6,6,6. Other airports have a SMGGS chart for below 1200 RVR. At those airports 5,5,5 applies.

...and then you have the gray areas. What if you are holding short, and it drops to 500 at an airport with a 600 to 1200 chart. Can you take off? A lot of people say no. Any other opinions?

To determine if you can go, you must have the greater of the following:

1) Jepp Chart minimums for the takeoff runway
2) Company minimums

If Jepp says 600 RVR and your company is 1200 RVR, then you are limited to 1200 RVR.

If Jepp says 600 RVR and your company is 500 RVR, then you are limited to 600 RVR.

Also, Keep in mind that the Jepp numbers only apply to commercial operators. Part 91 operators can go "zero-zero" even if Jepp says 600 RVR minimum. Not saying you should go zero-zero, but part 91 you can legally.

JetPilot500

I believe it still depends on your opspecs.

It's been a long time, but I think it reads something like this:

When a takeoff minimum is published above standard, and does not have an alternate method (minimum climb gradient, usually), then you are stuck with that higher-than-standard minimum.

If standard mins are published, then you have the choice of standard, or lower if permitted by opspecs.

Remember, NOS charts are the official gov't pub, not Jepp.
Some of what you see on Jepp could be described as advisory.

Latest resources

Back