• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWAPA calls all former AirTran pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At the end of the day, you have a company with nearly 6000 pilots acquiring a company with about 2000 pilots. In the latter, I would suspect ALPA to be gone, and the SWA group to essentially "direct" how the integration goes.

I'll concede the ALPA thumpers think they will prevail, and that's fine. If you think you can get the votes from those numbers, god bless you....

But at the end of the day, SWAPA is going to look out for SWAPA, political rhetoric aside.

No different than if AAI had the votes and was swallowing up the smaller fish.

Or have I got this all wrong?

So the moment that the merger is complete and SWA has protected their own and the Airtran people become SWA people then how will SWA protect them. Maybe 150 former Airtran /new SWA pilots are happy and the rest have a really bad attitude....Does not make sense.....the SWA corporate types must have some cards up their sleeves.........I am guessing it will be a gladiator show and someone "aint comin out alive"......Good sport for all of us who could care less.......

Cant we all just get along and let the unions do there work without breaking down our culture on this board. come on there has to be something else to talk about. It will be what it will be and lets get everyone on board grow this airline and keep our jobs for what I pray is a very long time. I wish you all would just shut up,fly planes and drink beers. keep this job fun. I am thankful the few on here are just a small minority of both pilot groups.

At the end of the day, you have a company with nearly 6000 pilots acquiring a company with about 2000 pilots. In the latter, I would suspect ALPA to be gone, and the SWA group to essentially "direct" how the integration goes.

I'll concede the ALPA thumpers think they will prevail, and that's fine. If you think you can get the votes from those numbers, god bless you....

But at the end of the day, SWAPA is going to look out for SWAPA, political rhetoric aside.

No different than if AAI had the votes and was swallowing up the smaller fish.

Or have I got this all wrong?
Not quite.

Yes, ALPA will be gone (by default, with SWAPA representing 2/3 of the combined pilot group or more, there won't even be a vote to determine who represents the pilots of the combined list), but that doesn't give SWAPA carte blanch to direct how the SLI will go. The SLI, by law, has to be agreed upon by both carriers or go to arbitration.

Until the lists are combined, each side is still represented by its respective Collective Bargaining Agent and they have to work together to make this whole puzzle fit properly. Yes, SWAPA, by being the acquiring carrier's union and the accepted surviving entity has the ability to direct HOW the airlines will integrate operationally (negotiating their own transition agreement that has to respect AAI's existing CBA rules until the integration is complete), but as for the SLI? No, SWAPA and AAI ALPA will have to work that out together, which I'm sure they will.

We all have faith in the process and yes, we all have our 2%'ers, but the vast majority of our pilots are good people who come to work, do their job, have a good time, take care of our people and our customers, and go home to their families, and will blend in just fine to the SWA family. No worries, mate... :beer:

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]As far as a fight, the AirTran pilots have none. We understand the process and have no problems accepting the outcome. If you keep up with the threats and intimidation then eventually you will reap what you sow. The irony is that you are eroding on your own, the precious culture you claim to represent. The AirTran pilots are sitting back and scratching our heads at you guys. I'm trying (obviously rather poorly) to try and reason with you guys but the more I read the more I realize you and others like you have already become what you despise from other airlines.[/QUOTE]

Remember....your scratching your heads based on the few moronic posts you hear from the minority on the web boards. Don't base your positions or reactions to the few extremes on these "lash out" boards. Instead search for the true info when it comes out from the unions.

Cant we all just get along and let the unions do there work without breaking down our culture on this board. come on there has to be something else to talk about. It will be what it will be and lets get everyone on board grow this airline and keep our jobs for what I pray is a very long time. I wish you all would just shut up,fly planes and drink beers. keep this job fun. I am thankful the few on here are just a small minority of both pilot groups.

What he said!!!

I look forward to the day that this is all over and we are one combined list...I go back and forth on how we should integrate "fairly"...I am a 10 year FO at SWA looking at having 800 AAI CPs seat protected ahead of me...based on SWA retirements my upgrade is about 3 to 5 years out...if we grow because of the merger maybe sooner...I did not go to JB or AAI because SWA was major airline and growing...I would have gone to DAL at the time because my friends went there and they had a much better contract (thank GOD i did not get hired)...I went the "safe" route and it may come back to haunt me as far as my ultimate seniority goes after integration...if I had been interested in rolling the dice for a quick upgrade at JB or AAI I would have taken that chance...I did not...it seems a little disingenuos to now fault the AAI guys who took the chance with a "start up" and now may end up ahead of me...if I really was a gambler I would have gone to JB or AAI and gotten the quick upgrade...I have been an FO a long time...I live a comfortable life, have a great schedule and work at a great place where people try to get along and management has not tried to screw us, they even value us...these are all GREAT reasons to work at SWA, they are INVALUABLE reasons...I want this company to be a great place after we integrate...like the AAI pilots I just want a "fair" outcome...should the AAI pilots be rewarded for their gamble at the expense of my seniority?? That is the concept that, as selfish person, I have a hard time accepting...should I be financially rewarded for taking the safe route (upgraded at the expense of AAI seniority), or should I accept that this merger will probably not affect my upgrade that much (even if it goes relative)?? How would I feel if I was a 7 year SWA FO or the bottom SWA FO?? I do know this that every AAI CP that comes to SWA and retains his seat will receive a huge pay raise (I made 154K last year flying 700 hours, my SWA CP made 274K last year flying 720 block hours). Of course I want to upgrade, I fly with SWA CPs 6 months senior to me who have been CPs for 4 years...I have lived with a good contract and make more money than many AAI CPs make...do the AAI deserve to be ahead of me because they upgraded before I did?...I do not know, and I want to be OK with whatever the outcome is, I still want to look forward to coming to work even if I have to fly for a 7 year AAI CP, but part of me will not feel that is fair...

I look forward to the day that this is all over and we are one combined list...I go back and forth on how we should integrate "fairly"...I am a 10 year FO at SWA looking at having 800 AAI CPs seat protected ahead of me...based on SWA retirements my upgrade is about 3 to 5 years out...if we grow because of the merger maybe sooner...I did not go to JB or AAI because SWA was major airline and growing...I would have gone to DAL at the time because my friends went there and they had a much better contract (thank GOD i did not get hired)...I went the "safe" route and it may come back to haunt me as far as my ultimate seniority goes after integration...if I had been interested in rolling the dice for a quick upgrade at JB or AAI I would have taken that chance...I did not...it seems a little disingenuos to now fault the AAI guys who took the chance with a "start up" and now may end up ahead of me...if I really was a gambler I would have gone to JB or AAI and gotten the quick upgrade...I have been an FO a long time...I live a comfortable life, have a great schedule and work at a great place where people try to get along and management has not tried to screw us, they even value us...these are all GREAT reasons to work at SWA, they are INVALUABLE reasons...I want this company to be a great place after we integrate...like the AAI pilots I just want a "fair" outcome...should the AAI pilots be rewarded for their gamble at the expense of my seniority?? That is the concept that, as selfish person, I have a hard time accepting...should I be financially rewarded for taking the safe route (upgraded at the expense of AAI seniority), or should I accept that this merger will probably not affect my upgrade that much (even if it goes relative)?? How would I feel if I was a 7 year SWA FO or the bottom SWA FO?? I do know this that every AAI CP that comes to SWA and retains his seat will receive a huge pay raise (I made 154K last year flying 700 hours, my SWA CP made 274K last year flying 720 block hours). Of course I want to upgrade, I fly with SWA CPs 6 months senior to me who have been CPs for 4 years...I have lived with a good contract and make more money than many AAI CPs make...do the AAI deserve to be ahead of me because they upgraded before I did?...I do not know, and I want to be OK with whatever the outcome is, I still want to look forward to coming to work even if I have to fly for a 7 year AAI CP, but part of me will not feel that is fair...

A very fair and honest post. I think if I were you, I'd be thinking the same things. Thank you.

I have a question. How did the part of your post that I highlighted come to pass.

Latest resources

Back