• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA wants to fly from HOU to MEX and SouthAmerica

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You need your "competition to be predictable", eh? Seriously?

I'm sorry we aren't accommodating that need for you.

Anybody else see the problem with that?

What I'm trying to figure out is why we need permission to fly internationally out of hobby in the first place

I'm sorry we aren't accommodating that need for you.

Anybody else see the problem with that?

What I'm trying to figure out is why we need permission to fly internationally out of hobby in the first place

Talk about speaking out of the both sides of your mouth. Let Obama win and the gubment wil decide what's fair for WN, you and WN mgmt will be at his mercy deciding what's a fair to charge for those routes.

Just when you started to sound like you were squared away, you go off Tue deep end. Keep in mind this is bigger than our piddling careers.

Source luv? Or did you just make that up?
(you did, by the way)
Stay on topic here- you can rip into me and Herb Kelleher's and warren buffett's economic and political philosophies all day on Non-Av- but those guys are my role models and I do my best to emulate them- which isn't close, but I try.

Last edited:
You are completely wrong... We beat your a$$ bud...

What ever you say. You were destroying us on those 6 IAH-DAL runs. You guys are awesome, you are the best major airline ever. We cannot compete with such a superior managed airline so we should just shut this whole thing down now!!!

Did I mention that you guys continue to file for bankruptcy? oops.....

What ever you say. You were destroying us on those 6 IAH-DAL runs. You guys are awesome, you are the best major airline ever. We cannot compete with such a superior managed airline so we should just shut this whole thing down now!!!

Did I mention that you guys continue to file for bankruptcy? oops.....

Code share bro, code share.

CAL did not fly it.

I love outsourcing

Well, I have only been at SWA for 10 years so I can't speak before that, but the only place we went from IAH was to LUV. Never CLE. All I ever flew into there was 200's from Luv

Southwest Plan Advances for Flights Abroad at Hobby

Southwest Airlines Co. (LUV) (LUV) won backing from Houstons aviation director to add international flights at the citys secondary airport after larger competitor United Continental Holdings Inc. (UAL) (UAL) objected.
The proposal to expand at William P. Hobby Airport would add 1.5 million passengers a year, 10,000 jobs and an annual economic benefit of $1.6 billion for the metropolitan area, according to a memo today to Mayor Annise Parker from Mario Diaz, director of aviation for the Houston Airport System.
George Bush Intercontinental Airport is Houstons main overseas gateway and the biggest hub for United, which along with its regional partners controls about 80 percent of passenger traffic there, while Southwest has about 90 percent of traffic at Hobby, where flights are chiefly domestic.
Parker will review Diazs analysis before deciding whether to accept the recommendation, which also needs approval from the City Council and U.S. regulators, the airport system said on its website. United asked the mayor last week to defer any decision on Southwests request pending further study.
Southwest proposed spending as much as $100 million for a five-gate terminal with customs facilities, breaking with a history of U.S.-only flying. New Hobby flights would include Mexico, the Caribbean and elsewhere in Latin America as Dallas- based Southwest absorbs the 2011 purchase of AirTran Holdings Inc. (AAI) (AAI), which already serves some of those destinations.
Fundamentally Flawed

The assumptions in the city of Houstons analysis are fundamentally flawed, Christen David, a spokeswoman for Chicago-based United, said today in an e-mail. Uniteds own, unfinished assessment shows that Southwests plan would significantly harm Intercontinental, David said.
United Chief Executive Officer Jeff Smisek, who ran Houston-based Continental Airlines before its 2010 merger with United, wrote to Parker to request the delay and told employees that the airlines Houston hub would suffer serious injury.
Hobbys expansion would imperil the airlines $700 million investment at its Intercontinental hub and could result in 1,300 United job cuts in Houston, Smisek wrote in an April 4 memo.
I didnt expect United to agree with it, Bob Montgomery, Southwests vice president for properties, said in an interview. Thats why the city did an independent study. I expect whatever study is done by whoever, it will find objection from United. They enjoy a near monopoly in that marketplace and I believe they want to keep that monopoly.
New flights could start in mid- to late 2015, he said.
Intercontinental is about 30 miles (48 kilometers) from Hobby and is closer to some of the newer business and residential developments on Houstons northern and western fringes. Hobby airport is in the citys southeastern quadrant.
While Intercontinental has been home for decades to most of the regions international flights, overseas flying isnt banned at Hobby, and both Southwest and Continental expressed interest in adding such flights there as recently as 2003, Diaz said on a conference call with reporters.
Two airlines in Mexico have also expressed interest in a new international terminal at Hobby, Diaz said.
To contact the reporter on this story: Mary Jane Credeur in Atlanta at [email protected]
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Ed Dufner at [email protected]

Last edited:
Well, I have only been at SWA for 10 years so I can't speak before that, but the only place we went from IAH was to LUV. Never CLE. All I ever flew into there was 200's from Luv

You guys just don't remember this stuff.

SWA went after CAL with flights from Hobby (and maybe a few other places) to CLE, and CAL went right back at you with flights to Hobby from CLE. Yes, the only place you flew to out of IAH was LUV. When we had to defend CLE went went to Hobby. You backed down and as part of the agreement we back down, you left IAH.

Yeah, there should be some rules we all have to stick to. There should be a level playing field and an equal market. 99% of the time you've won on a level playing field. But when it's been in doubt (like now and when you were a startup) SWA has sought an airport deal that favors them.

The city knows this is a bad deal for IAH. They just want to retialiate for UAL hdqts being moved. They are going to cut their nose off to spite thier face. GK is doing what you guys always do, show up where the vultures are/or there is blood in the water

I'm hoping we go to Hobby and we slug this out.

Latest resources

Back