• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA speed control in ATL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
First, settle down before you pop something. All those exclamation points are making me wince.

Second, that's not what Howard said at all. Your reading comprehension blows. You implied that "going fast" was the best or only way to be able to get down in a hurry for a "short final," regardless of the length. He pointed out that was crap, and explained, that at a hypothetical airport, IF cleared for a visual from downwind, then dirtying up first will get you on the ground sooner, contrary to your assertion. He never said that one shouldn't follow ATC directions or that they should just do whatever they want. Nobody on this thread has ever said that, despite your implications.

Next, it appears that the only large airport that you know anything about it ATL. Good for you; now that you work for SWA, you'll see more large and/or busy airports, assuming you don't stroke out first. Guess what?--they all have their particular idiosyncrasies. And the answer isn't always, "go fast!!!!!!" (Did I put enough exclamation points in there?) Is there a learning curve at a new airport? Sure there is. ATC notes issues they find with new entrants, and management puts out memos to ensure all the pilots are aware of them. Pretty much like at every other airline.

Also, despite what's rolling around in what passes for your brain, it turns out that actually, ATC doesn't "hate SWA." I know; shocker, right? They don't "hate RSW across the board," they are not "fed up with SWA," and they haven't "given up on a 6-8 mile final" for Southwest. If you actually pay attention and ask someone other than another pissed-off FAT guy, you'll find that overall, and nationwide, Southwest has a very good reputation with ATC. And this part may also come as a surprise to you, but the average ATC controller doesn't share your SLI angst, doesn't really care if you wanted to be bought, and doesn't blame SWA, SWAPA, or RSW pilots for all the woes in their life. By the way, are you related to FreightdogFred? :angryfire

And finally, "your" is a second-person possessive pronoun. "You're" is a contraction of "you are." There's actually a difference. Hey, maybe you can get someone at Atlanta ATC to explain it to you. :blush:

Bubba

If you truly believe they aren't fed up with us, may I suggest that you don't go to a controllers wedding with a bunch of other controllers who have all had plenty to drink!! If you do, don't tell them you fly for SWA. It will make your life much easier and keep you living in lala land!

The FAA doesn't define "short approach". ATL ATC has defined what THEY mean, and it's a 10-12 mile final. Also, ATL routinely issues speeds to maintain spacing. Expect short approach does not alleviate speed restrictions, so even in ATL expect short approach does NOT mean GO FAST!!! Expect short approach in Atlanta means maintain assigned speed and DESCEND FAST!!!

If multiple ATC facilities are queried about what does the undefined term "short aproach" mean at your ATC facility, you will find very few that will equate short approach as a 10-12 mile final.

The hypothetical scenario I described was never identified as Atlanta, because we have already established what a short approach means at that facility. That hypothetical shows that when one truly desires a real short approach which by every English translation I know of means reduce the distance of your approach footprint, the most expeditious way to accomplish that and meet the definition of the FAA undefined term is to slow down, not speed up.

Speed assignments at many airports are routine and not hard to follow. Speed assignments are actually well defined by the FAA. If absent a speed assignment you are CLEARED to perform a short approach, as opposed to expect one, I will immediately slow the aircraft every time because that will allow me the smallest approach footprint. If you choose to define the undefined in a different way, more power to you.

short
adjective - 1. measuring a small distance from end to end.

ap-proach
verb - 1. come near or nearer to in distance.

Last edited:
If you truly believe they aren't fed up with us, may I suggest that you don't go to a controllers wedding with a bunch of other controllers who have all had plenty to drink!! If you do, don't tell them you fly for SWA. It will make your life much easier and keep you living in lala land!

I was at that wedding, it was a blast

The controllers where upset because some SWA pilots banged half of the wife's at the weeding .

It was a hoot to watch . :)

There have been numerous bulletins, emails, scrolling MyMobile365 notices, not to mention the 10-7 and SIP notes that all state DO NOT SLOW DOWN UNLESS ATC TELLS YOU TO DO SO.

It's the busiest airport in the world and things run very smoothly when pilots do what they're told. Perhaps if they start violating crews we'll all get the picture. [emoji1]

Last edited:
Well, if I hear a response to a visual approach clearance issued by ATC as "cleared visual 27left, anchors aweigh" I'll know who I'm following...:)

RV

ATL, what a joke. Sherman needs to make a return and do it better this time.

ATL approach would probably fix this with a simple change in phraseology: "...expect a 10-12 mile final." It is only two more syllables.

Strange how no one else seems to have a problem. :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back