• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MLBWINGBORN

Freedom Fighter
Hey guys and gals..

Once again the question has come up about flight cases and roller bags..

First off..This is my opinion and not being stated to start any argument or flame bait..

IMHO the best bag for a COCKPIT crew member is The Luggage Works PNS bags..Of those bags the 737 Stealth Bag model #102ng is the perfict size..

The standard size bags are 23" H 14" W 8"D..The 737 bag is 13"w which makes it much easier to get under the jumpseat in the 737..Way easier..

As for the brain bag/flight case..

There are many bags out there to choose from..The problem is that there are all kinds of screws and stuff to hang the bag up on in the 300/500 and when you slide the seat outboard in the 700 you run into the side of your bag...

So..Again..IMHO..You dont want a 81/2" bag and some of the bigger bags like my PNS bag are just a shade over 8" and it hits everything on the side of the cockpit..Pain in the butt..But it will work!!
If i had it to do over again i would get nothing wider than a 7" bag for two reasons..
One..It goes in much easier in the 300/500 and you wont run into it when you go outboard with the seat in the 700..
Two...You dont need the bigger bag do to the fact that we dont carry but three binders and you dont need that much room..A 7" bag will tote everything you need and still have room left over..

Again..For all of you out there that have a 8"or 81/2" dont freak out..They will work..But its a royal pain in the a$$ to put in the 300/500..If you dont want to spend the bucks while on first year pay..Dont..

But..If you are in the market for what ever reason..I would highly recomend that you not get anything over a 7" wide bag..

As for what bags hold up the best..Ive worn out a bunch of bags and the best bag and only bag i havnt worn out to date is the Purdy Neat Stuff bag from The Luggage Works..

If and when i ever wear out both my flight bag and my roller bag i WILL be replacing them with a 102ng 737 bag and a 7" Scott flight bag..
Im getting tired of busting my knuckles on the screw heads in the 300/500 and the mechanics are pissed at me for taking them out all the time..

Mike

Last edited:
Luggage Works

For those of you wanting to do a little window shopping in your down time, you can look at the Purdy Neat Stuff/Luggage works bags at the following web site: http://www.luggageworksonline.com

Does anybody know if these bags are available cheaper that directly from the company web site?

AF (ex)

Thanks U'z Guys!

AF757, thanks for the link.

MLB, thanks for the info and dimension recommendations. Where do you find Scott bags? All flight kits at PNS are 8" deep, I'd like to see this Scott bag since you're recommending nothing over 7".

thangya, thangyaverymuch...:cool:

Costoco Ballistic. $90.00. Lifetime guarantee. A good size with very heavy duty zippers. Returns to Costco are a piece of cake, does not matter how beat up it is they will replace them.

PNS brainbag not too good on quality

Here's my .02 worth on a couple of leather flight bags.

During initial at U, I bought the all leather flight bag from PNS. We had the option to get the ballistic nylon on the sides with the company name stitched on it (looked really cool), but I just had trouble spending the extra cash for a name that I thought might not be around in a few years (you know....merger mania!) Or even worse yet, a bag with a company name where I might not be in a few years. Well, you guessed it, I'm furloughed!

Anyhow, I got the all leather model. It had hard rubber skids on the bottom instead of the 6 brass feet, so it was good for sitting on the wet pavement and out of the slush in PIT and PHL. It was also just a "hair" bigger and came with a nice little nylon zip up bag for the small stuff (Tylonol, ink pens, ear plugs, etc...). It also included sunglass cases on the flaps. Overall, a nice bag, until the top flaps started to come apart. Then their customer service folks pissed me off royally - so it ended up in the closet as my "2nd string benchwarmer."

So I bought a leather Korchmar bag from www.pilotshirts.com, and got furloughed six months later. But the Korchmar bag looks like it's going to last a good long time. It's a hair smaller than the PNS bag, and seems to be the ticket. They'll even stamp your name on it for just a few bucks.

Yeh, maybe I spent too much too soon, but I'm just not into using duct tape on luggage at this stage in my career.....maybe later!;)

correction on the link....

Sorry about the link. Somehow the comma got there on the end (I try and use proper English, and we see what happens).

Try www.pilotshirts.com (w/o the comma). The bag still seems like a good price ($209.00)

Funny thing, you don't really think of finding a good quality leather bag on a web-site called pilotshirts, but hey, it works.

Happy shopping fellas!:cool:

This is worth looking at!

My girlfriend just bought me this great flight bag and what a deal!! She found it at ebags at the below URL. It is also known as a catalog case but is the same thing. The deal included free shipping and a free gift (CD case) and no tax for a grand total of 79.00 dollars!! thats it - no hidden fees etc...
Check it out at; http://www.ebags.com/u_sluggage_bus...d=&productlist_20_link=details&sub_site_id=20[/URL]
When I get mine in a few days I will report to this thread on its details.

See ya

Latest resources

Back