Swa recall

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Classy.

And you still owe me a case of Johnny Walker Blue. And $20 bucks.

To the O.P., each union's Constitution and Bylaws and Policy Manual are different. Specifically, what percentage of the pilot group signing a petition is required to reach a "threshold" to where a vote must be held is different for many carriers (some ALPA carriers will be the same in most cases, as they adopt the standard ALPA Master Policy Manual and make small changes in their MEC Policy Manual that usually don't involve those kinds of things).

You will have to read within your own C&BL's and Policy Manual to find the answer you seek.

Could you say, without hesitation, that recall votes are held after the petition Threshold is met? Our president used union funds, to seek outside counsel to interpret our bylaws. Now we are being told by said president that we must have the charges on the petition adjudicated before a recall vote by the pilot group can occur...it's a disaster....

The tranny recalled 3 LEC members by a membership vote for following the C&BL's after the NC went out of bounds. Meanwhile, the other 4 LEC members that did the same thing got to stay. Go figure?

Every union's bylaws are different. Can you post the recall language from your bylaws? I'm not familiar with the language. It's possible that your president is correct if the bylaws require that recalls only take place for "just cause." In that case, you would have to prove the just cause through some sort of hearing procedure, which I would assume is described in such a set of bylaws. If the bylaws allow recall without cause, then that's a different story.

Knowing the language would help. It's not a one-size-fits-all answer.

Oh, u got to meet Hugo. He's so full of feces, his eyes are brown. Personally, I can't believe that clown isn't in jail.

I was in a SWA jumpseat and the captain talked about how SWApA tried to recall him. I think it might have been a while ago though.

He seemed like he was in the know at Southwest. He talked as if he was best friends with the SWA CEO. He also seemed to imply that Southwest comes to him about all there business plans .

The tranny recalled 3 LEC members by a membership vote for following the C&BL's after the NC went out of bounds. Meanwhile, the other 4 LEC members that did the same thing got to stay. Go figure?
The 3 elected ATL MEC reps got recalled for not giving the pilot group the opportunity to be educated and get a chance to vote on SIA #1. The MEC instructed the MC to get the best deal possible and then proceeded to pull the rug out from under the MC and the pilot group. That was not totally unexpected as two reps did the same thing to the ATN NC with Contract 2010.

That is why the 3 ATL MEC reps were recalled less than 2 months after their vote in August and why ALPA is preparing to defend against a breach of DFR lawsuit at the current time. It is pretty surprising the MCO reps have kept their jobs through all this.

Basically what happened at Netjets:

Recall was going through its' process.. 25% of recall petitioning was met. Next step would have been verifying signatures and then it would have gone to a membership vote where 50% of active members would have wanted the recall...

What happened however was the President (yes the one being recalled) put forth a motion that basically said that for a recall to proceed a majority of the EBoard would have to approve the charges against the President. (basically a Grand Jury type scenario)..

The kicker is 5 out of the 9 Eboard members are President supporters. So guess how they will vote on the motion??????? And then guess how they will vote on the charges?????

Forget the fact the 4 out of 9 Eboard members think the President is a terrible leader, and believe he has negatively embelished almost everything management has done.

Basically if you have 5 out of 9 buddies on the EBoard you can pass any motion you want and stay in office as long as you want.

Sounds pretty fishy to me...

You don't put a motion on the floor during an active petition drive that will knowingly block said petition drive in violation of your own bylaws (assuming the bylaws don't also require what the president was proposing).

If your bylaws say he can do that, that's one thing. Otherwise, if he's trying to play a chess game and "cut you off at the pass" by changing the bylaws before the results of the recall petition can be submitted to the BoD, then I'd argue he's deliberately violating your C&BL's and I would petition the NMB to get involved.

If what he's doing is found to be illegal in terms of the RLA, there will be repercussions, including, in all likelihood, forcing the recall vote to go out if you've met the threshhold as previously-required under your un-modified By-Laws, others on here might be able to better describe the process of NMB oversight.

Just my take on it.

Latest resources

Back