Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LiveFreeorDie

Large Member
I was wondering how many in the pool are in danger of being activated.

I myself was hosed by stop loss and can sympathize if anyone misses on a class date.

But honestly, I was wondering if I would move up in the pool based on another's misfortune. (I wouldn't wish that upon anyone, inspite of the personal gain.)

So, anyone out there in danger of getting slipped?

Livefree,

Move yourself up by 1. I'm 146 on the unofficial list and I'm activated for the rest of the year.

Good luck,
shootr

Our unit believes activation is right around the corner. I too will be hosed for a while. While activation tends to be expensive, a one to two year call-up is not out of the question.

The real question though guys is this....to what extent will a war on one front and a possible altercation with Korea slow the picture at LUV? The talk of activation may very well be a moot point with stagnation of class dates looming on the horizon.

Red Leader said:
The real question though guys is this....to what extent will a war on one front and a possible altercation with Korea slow the picture at LUV? The talk of activation may very well be a moot point with stagnation of class dates looming on the horizon.

You hit the nail on the head! That's the $64 question - and nobody knows the answer. Very frustrating to get so close and then have to wait again. Well, at least we know what we're waiting for and know that we will be hired by SWA someday .

For those of you facing stop loss/activation Best of Luck and Godspeed! My thoughts and prayers are with those who chose to serve.

Kick Butt

Semper Fi!

Shag

To called up ANG/AFRES folks

First of all thanks for your service. Your's and fellow guardsmen/reservists sacrifice for our country is greatly appreciated and respected by all.

As for your question about our growth plan. While I'm not on Gary Kelly's (SWA's CFo) e-mail listing I'm optimistic that even with the outbreak of hostilities the expected plans for future classes this year will continue unabated. We have planes coming, we need crews. It doesn't appear that the growth plans are being slowed up at this time even with war inevitable.

SWA has always improved market share during difficult times when other airlines have shrunk. With other airlines shrinking, a strong argument could be made that instead of slowing growth the expected downturn will only expedite it. SWA would expect to see loads temporarily decrease immediately after hostilities begin but assuming no major domestic terrorist attacks that would negatively impact air travel occur this downturn would impact the unhealthy airlines much more than us. Would we continue to expedite airplanes from outyears to this year? Who knows but if opportunities present themselves we'll see. Red-eyes which are highly profitable....long haul flights from DFW to SWA destinations (see Lamar Muse's comments in his recent book/article) with DAL based pilots...move into DIA if UA liquidates (not trying to bash UAL)....connect more dots on established long haul routes.....who knows what's up the sleeves of the SWA execs but as history has shown they are always planning for two paths: slow growth with profits or faster growth to take advantage of opportunities that present themselves to the company. I don't have inside info as to what their plans are just theorizing what opportunities are out there.

SWA's growth will continue and personnel who are recalled will have the opportunity (if in the pool) to go to the head of the line (assuming everyone ahead of them has been hired) and start class at the earliest opportunity when they return. SWA's past history shows they have done this with the 6 Jan class having so many STOP LOSS folks in it held over from the early crisis.

I've stated this previously also but will again for those who wish to hear my dribble. Another factor that bodes well for continued classes is the following fact. SWA had approximately 1% (40+) pilots recalled after 911 for military duty for various periods of time up to 1 year. I assume we have already seen some of the same things occurring or will very soon.

Could the numbers be greater this time? Certainly so since the conflict appears to be much larger in scale. These pilots will need to be "temporarily" replaced or VJA/JA rates will climb. If we know we have "X" number of aircraft coming in '04 & will need pilots then it stands to reason these "future pilots" could be hired now to fill shortterm shortages but not present a burden when recalled pilots return to the line since they would've been trained anyway albeit in '04 versus '03. Tabulations will be done to estimate their length of absence & someone will surely be looking at what impact these extended stays will have on our immediate & near term manning. This variable is unknown but certainly causes one to lean toward continued training to fill new aircraft purchases ALONG WITH expedited recalls of current pilots.

Maybe not a lot of details but hopefully enough optimism to quell any suspicions STOP LOSS folks will suffer inordinately (more than they will already!!!). Keep Lindsey, Jenn & the other folks informed to your status. The best of a bad situation would be recalled the day after you get your SWA seniority number. That way at least you're seniority is established versus waiting outside with no seniority number. Good luck & God Bless to our warriors...God Speed to those who are already being called up, our prayers are with you & your families.

Lots of speculation listed above but they are legitimate variables to the hiring future of SWA. Get off flightinfo.com & spend time with the family!!!!! :)

Last edited:
Chase... Yet again another fine post.

To all our millitary service folks...... Thank You and good Luck!!! Come safely home soon.

shootr (McGavin?) and Red Leader -

Sorry to hear about the activations. I see you both interviewed in Feb. Were you involved in the last stop loss?

Great, just great ...

I am coming off of a year long activation (9 of the last 11 months away from home) and I fully expect a war to kick off long before I get to class at SWA (I am 30 on the new list). I am hoping they'll leave me alone because of this last year, but they could just as easily decide to extend my recall ... I am a stop loss survivor and I am starting to lose my sense of humor. Best of luck for all, but especially those activated/stop lossed - at least we're waiting for a company that'll wait for us.

Hey Guys,

While all this is extremely un-fun....I did talk to LL today....They WILL wait for us. Eventually we WILL be on the property. This IS one hell of a family!!!!

By-the-by, We really do need to keep in touch. It will be my absolute pleasure to buy the bar for all of you, and I sincerely look forward to finally meeting you guys in person. This has been one hell of a ride......the grandkids will never believe this one :)

Latest resources

Back