• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA PIC hire time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is it possible to get on without any internal recommendations or did all you have internal recs?

I just flew with one of our base chief pilots who sits on the DB, so I decided to grill him on the DB process.

One of the things that he said is that internal recs weigh very heavily upon their decision. If you do not have any internals, he said that you had better have something else in your file, such as great previous experience, time, or outstanding ratings from your interviewers. Something needs to counterbalance the lack of recs.

To drive home the importance of internals, he said that if the applicant scores poorly on the interview, but has several letters or people vouching for him/her to the chief pilot, the applicant will be pulled from the stack and put in for reconsideration for the NEXT month's DB. Internals can give you a second chance. Now, if the interview notes were really bad, no amount of recs will send you to round two.

That being said, I am living proof that you can be hired without any internal recommendations (or even knowing a single person who works for SWA for that matter), 4100 TT, 1600 pic jet, all civilian, type rating.

Best of luck!

7000 TT/4500 PIC Turbine/737 Type/Checkairman... Had refs called and interviewed over two years ago. Still nothing. Keeping my fingers crossed, but I'm running out of breath to hold.

I spoke with the PD last week, was curious myself, my year was up last month. They told me that its 18 months or more, if you were pretty competetive before. That means usually 6 months at least after your year was up. Hope that helps!! Good Luck!

as for me, 13ktt 5k pic turbine 1800 of that in the 73 as a check airman, civ, no degree.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back