• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA or DAL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You either have fuselage envy............ or you don't. Flying the 737 for "the rest of my career" doesn't bother me. I actually really enjoy being 3 time zones max from home if my family needs me.

Either would be a good choice..... today. I'd look at future retirements as a major player. WN will retire about 140-150/yr. indefinitely. I think DAL has many more.

Gup
The better apples to apples in regards to retirements is the percentage of gummers hitting 65 and when. I've seen here that 50% will be 65 at dal in 2020 or 2021 and the same 50% at sw in 2028-30. Of course this is assuming no organic growth (mergers don't count) or shrinkage.

Oh, and one more MAJOR point. If you don't already have a 737 type rating, are you willing to spend thousands to get it on your own, or maybe get it for free at Delta?

And, as someone just stated, he was just fine flying one type of plane forever and a max of 3 time zone changes a day. For him, that is great. Yet other SWA and Airtran people on this board are salivating over crazy rumors that they MAY go to Asia (in a 737) via ANC someday. Sounds like some of them are already getting restless. If I am lucky enough to get on with Delta, I can fly domestic or international, depending on plane type. I want that choice. Good luck!

No we won't. Not a chance. Not in scheduled service. Although, I hear Yuzhno is the Lubbock of Russia.

Then I bet GUP would bid it with his Captain, Ty Webb. They would drink gallons of vodka, and "own" that town for all of the 14 hours there, before heading off to Busan, Taipei, Guangzhou, and finally Ho Chi Min later that day.

I think it important to consider the financial position of the carrier. A great pay scale or route structure won't matter if the doors close.

Don't pay attention to those insecure souls who play the FI "my airline is better than your airline". They are both great companies. Just get hired.

I think it important to consider the financial position of the carrier. A great pay scale or route structure won't matter if the doors close.

Don't pay attention to those insecure souls who play the FI "my airline is better than your airline". They are both great companies. Just get hired.

Both are doing well. Delta turned a large profit and is paying down debt. Southwest doesn't have as much debt, but is now spending big bucks for Airtran and bringing up pay for their employees. Both airlines are overall financially secure, for now.

Last edited:
People will say oh you won't fly international, oh you'll fly a 737 all your life, you want to live in ATL, Delta is a bigger company with more aircraft types. All this is nonsense. Bases don't matter. Planes dont matter. Both are good companies to work for, as far as being a pilot. Both have good contracts and good pilot groups.

The absolute bottom line is be aggressive in trying to get interviews for both airlines, and then go where you get hired first. There is no point in doing these xxx vs. yyy type stuff.

Oh, and one more MAJOR point. If you don't already have a 737 type rating, are you willing to spend thousands to get it on your own, or maybe get it for free at Delta?

And, as someone just stated, he was just fine flying one type of plane forever and a max of 3 time zone changes a day. For him, that is great. Yet other SWA and Airtran people on this board are salivating over crazy rumors that they MAY go to Asia (in a 737) via ANC someday. Sounds like some of them are already getting restless. If I am lucky enough to get on with Delta, I can fly domestic or international, depending on plane type. I want that choice. Good luck!

Blah, blah, blah...we get the fact you hate SWA. It's beginning to sound like a crappy, broken record. Nobody cares anymore. :p

Latest resources

Back