Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

D_G

Regarding this question:

At any time, have you EVER been convicted of or pled guilty to a traffic or moving violation(s)?
If you answered Yes, please explain the traffic violation (s) and provide these details: Date, City/State/Country

I had a couple speeding tickets 15 to 20 years ago, I think the worst one was for 20 mph over the speed limit, my state driving record only goes back 5 years, it's clean, I can't remember the exact dates or much else from that long ago.

Any info from current SWA pilots that were in a similar situation would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Well....I'm not a SWA pilot(yet!), but when I went through my type at HPA and Lindsey from SWA People Dept came in we were told to list EVERYTHING, even if you don't expect it to come up on your NDR report.

BTW, your state report may only go back 5 years, but your NDR may go back further. You can get a copy of your NDR, but I'm not sure where to send the request...maybe somebody else can help with that.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/perform/driver/

You can get your NDR by sending in a notarized letter. All info is at the above website. I was in a similar situation where I have 4-5 tickets all more than 10 years ago. I am not afraid to list them, because I think going without a ticket for 10 years proves I learned from my mistakes. But I honestly have no recollection of the county they were in. I had 1 ticket each in NC, SC, VA, WV, and PA. Rebecca told us while at HPA to list everything also and if you could not remember the exact dates, just to put what you remember.

The NDR report doesn't show violation like speeding tickets. Only things like DUIs. However some states will go back as far as your record starts. MD and FL does this for example.

I had 3 speeding tickets 10 years ago and one 5 years ago. I listed them all and the interviewer didn't really care because I was 17 when I got the 3 tickets.

Just tell the truth.

SWAPoolie said:
Just tell the truth.

Great recommendation. Too bad it's not something people do by nature these days.

I had the exact same questions when filling out the online application. After searching everywhere (state, ndr, etc) it became apparent that I could not accurately recreate the records. In fact, my car insurance company drops all the information after about five years! Well that sucks because I wanted to be upfront about the speeding tickets.....you never know if a background check might turn up obscure information like this. So I called a SWA pilot I know and he suggested putting them down with a brief explanation and estimated dates. He laughed and said that this happens to tons of people and not to worry....just be honest.

List them all. I had 5 I think, going back 14, 13, 11, 10, and 9 years. One of those was for a rear end collision too. I put them all down, and I'm here aren't I? Now I did obviously show a maturation trend, by not having any new ones for the past 9 years prior to applying, so that might be something not in your favor if you have been "fast and furious" a lot recently. It also shows I am truthful and owned up to my mistakes. Nobody is perfect, but we don't want liers here. Put down what your remember (I didn't have the tickets anymore, so I just put down what I recalled as for exact dates and such). I don't think they all showed up on that National Driver Record either. Good luck.

I put everything I could remember in there - most likely, those aren't going to show up on the NDR anyway, but better to be forthright than get caught hiding something as silly as a speeding ticket. Didn't seem to affect my hiring status -started in January.

Hope that helps

Are they going to find it? *Probably* not. But SWA wants honesty and they sure as heck aren't going to give you a minus for admiting to a couple of tickets 15-20 years ago! In fact it might be a plus because they can then tell just how honest you are willing to be. If you don't remember the details, just approximate it and put it in. I wouldn't try to hide it.

Latest resources

Back