SWA New Hires!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flight-crew

Can some SWA new hires on this board please post how much Turbine PIC flight time they were hired with?

And what type of equipment was it in >>> Jet, Turboprop, Caravan, King Air, etc?

Thanks!!!

1,500 PIC Jet

Astra Jet (Gulfstream 100) & Falcon 20.

PIC baby

3200 almost all in tubo props, some jet - 1300 or so turbine PIC - some jet. PIC in two types.

But the landscape is evolving - it is going to get tougher for a while. Get 1000 hours of turbine PIC as quickly as you can. This will put you in good stead at any airline - and I am confident the whole industry will turn around sooner than most think. After that it all comes down to timing. Right now a lot of people are running away from professional avaition as a career - but things can and will get better. Gut it out and you may be the envy of those who left for desk jobs.

Just my .02$ and what do I know - I am just another dumb pilot.

PIC Times At Interview

flight-crew,

At the time of my interview in August 2001:

Total time - 5,544
Turbine PIC - 3,063 (Instructor, Evaluator, Part 1 PIC)
Type aircraft - T-37, T-38, B-52, E-3, Boe-707

Hope this helps. Take care.

I always have to stop and laugh a little when it comes to the whole PIC time thing.

Aviation is interesting.. Employers will say that you are not qualified because you don't have enought turbine time, jet time, PIC, SIC, glider, remote control OS .46 time...etc...

The 1000 hour turbine PIC deal at SWA seems to me like once you reach that figure, everyone is equal. Honestly, what is the difference between a pilot with 1000 turbine PIC or 1500, 2000, 5000+?? Nothing, it is the same hour over and over for 99% of it.

Also, any pilot knows that the whole flight time thing does not hold a lot of weight. I have flown as an FO and Captain for a 121 carrier. I have flown with people that had 15000+ hours that were great and ones that had no clue about what they were doing. I have also flown with people that had 300 hours TT and had great cockpit discipline.

Point of story....after 1000 PIC turbine, who cares about more. If you are a good pilot/person then, you will be one when you have 10K PIC.... If you are an idiot with 1000 PIC you will probably still be an idiot when you have 10K PIC too!

Individualism is key....Short/Tall, Military/Civilian, Male/Female, etc...none of that matters. I know good and bad from ALL categories.

Get your SWA app in!!!! My type is on the 22nd.....mailing my app in that day!!!

SFR

ivauir said:
After that it all comes down to timing. Right now a lot of people are running away from professional avaition as a career - but things can and will get better. Gut it out and you may be the envy of those who left for desk jobs.

Well put Iviair! And congrats on the call! Well done.

Yahtz

Latest resources

Back