• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA is techno challenged

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As far as SWA being on the leading edge of RNP give me a break. RNP has been out for 10 years. SWA is trying to get the training done before NextGen ATC slams it in your face.

Technology is not SWA strong points. SWA is still trying to fly in control wheel steering. Maybe after SWA retires those senior pilots you can start to get with the Boeing programs. Till then SWA is just a stone age legacy carrier with a Flintstone attitude.

I found Gary's quote very interesting when he stated the SWA reservations system was not up to the task of charging for ancillary revenues.

SWA does charge for bags. It sticks it in the price up front.

Another SWA technology failure which is hurting its paxs.

I also want to see how SWA will ever fly international operations. Do you know SWA lists all its times in Texas time. How retarded does SWA get? Texas is not the center of the universe.

It will be fun to see a SWA international weather package. ETOPS alternates will have to be listed in Bubba English. KDAL-PHNL. Translation for the illiterate Texans it is the Big D to The Land of the Grass Skirts and Warm Breezes.

How are you bubba's going to cut it out there on the HF? You know those radios have to be channelized before you use them, right? All those Colonels will probably miss doing it and wonder why their radios fail to work.

SWA just got into the transcon business in 2003. Less than 10 years ago.

I was surprised to read SWA wasn't the 37 operator who rolled inverted with the rudder trim knob trying to open the door.

Oh but SWA does have a lot of experience rolling inverted after over-speeding those Old Gen flaps and cracking the flap tracks causing uncommanded rolls on short final. Nice recoveries using your superior skills to overcome your company wide superior stupidity.

And thanks for all the extra inspections on the old gen airframes. I am glad my company doesn't have any of those issues.

Where is the defense of the technology issues.

All you guys got is "Our rates are higher." "We fly the most domestic paxs of any airline." "We haven't filed bankruptcy." Those statements and $4 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

SWA delivers a crap product to a low yield leisure market with a few cherry picked cities with no real route structure. SWA doesn't keep America running. It keeps people going on vacation and home to see Grandma. If they want to rent a car to get their final destination or drive three hours to get to the departure city while the plane does five stops along the way.

Up, down, up, down, up, down.

If the $100 per departure tax goes into effect, SWA is going to be paying a fortune to the IRS. But then SWA won't have the ability to even keep track of its flights and pay the government. It will just have to overpay on estimates.

Last edited:
Sometimes being low-tech is a bonus. Ever have your WHOLE airline go down because of a computer crash? Or even sit twiddling your thumbs because the computerized Central Load Planning is down and no one is qualified to do a manual weight and balance.

It sucks.

"Texas is not the center of the universe."

I was just going to let this thread go, but Texas is the center of the universe and everything is in Herb time. ;)

man lucky you must be really tired living up in the north east. You should move down to Texas...say just north of San Antonio. I think you would like it.

Latest resources

Back