Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MLBWINGBORN

Freedom Fighter
Southwest Adds N485WN to Fleet Posted on Fri, 09/24/04 00:00 The Company accepted our 36th new aircraft delivery of the year, and the fourth of September, when N485WN was added to the fleet on Wednesday. When combined with recent -200 retirements, our fleet stands at 415 aircraft, with 11 deliveries remaining for the year. Since January 1, we have added 36 -700s to our expanding fleet and retired nine -200s, for a net gain of 27 aircraft. By the end of the year, our 11 additional deliveries and nine planned -200 retirements will put our fleet at 417. For 2005, we have 34 scheduled deliveries and five -200 retirements, which would place our fleet at 446 by the end of the year.

Mike

Hey that's great news!

Where is Southwest going to deploy those new jets next year? I know SWA decided against a new domicile with the new schedule optimization coming online in October.

My guess is BWI. Maybe a few at OAK. Any slated for MDW?

Last edited:
Just got back from a 3 day trip and had the pleasure of flying 485WN for a single leg. Still had the new plane smell to it. As for where SWA plans on utilizing the new a/c next year, I'll let the brainiacs at HQ decide. They do a pretty good job. Rumor for a while was that BWI was going to get bigger by a large margin, so East Coast flying is sure to play a large role. Good luck again to all trying to get here.

The word is that BWI then PHL will grow in huge leaps..

They keep calling BWI the "Beast of the East"..

As a crew base BWI is supposed to double in the next 12 to 18 months.

Mike

A couple months ago in recurrent, they told us we will begin moving into the new "A" Concourse facilities in BWI sometime in March 2005. Once completed, we will have 11 additional gates for a total of 26. Max utilization is usually around 10 flights per gate. I'll let y'all do the math.

MLBWINGBORN said:
The word is that BWI then PHL will grow in huge leaps..

They keep calling BWI the "Beast of the East"..

As a crew base BWI is supposed to double in the next 12 to 18 months.

Mike

I really doubt that it will grow that much. That would mean that there would have to be an addition of 22 to 33 new crews each month and every month. That would mean we would have to hire 800 pilots in that time period and every one of them based in BWI.

I have seen strange things happen...but I find that very doubtful.

SWAdude :cool:

Latest resources

Back