• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

swaforme

Newsline for Tuesday, March 4, 2003 Posted on Tue, 03/04/03 16:36
Updated on Tue, 03/04/03 16:38
Good Afternoon. This is the Flight Operations Newsline for Tuesday March 4, 2003.

The first two of Jim Parker's "Message to the Field" meetings will be held this week. Jim and Colleen will be in BWI on Wednesday evening and MDW on Thursday. The PHX message will be on March 18 and DAL on March 24. If you would like to attend one of these meetings, the details are available in the Crew Base. The message is informative and entertaining!

Due to the recent activation of several Guard/Reserve units, we have lost a significant number of our Pilots for a year. In the short term there is a lot of open time to cover. Until base staffing levels can be adjusted, we are asking for your help covering open time. As you can imagine, this puts a strain on our Scheduling Department and any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated."

Well with that said I can't figure out why they postponed the March classes.

Sounds like SWA needs to re-think the classes for '03.
By the way, does anyone out there know how many pilots have been called up so far? Last time it was around 40.

Has anyone talked to LL or JR? My last message from JR was on Monday at which time she did not think there would be a March class. She did say that I would most likely move up from the third class to the second class due to military activations.

A buddy of mine in the AF, who is scheduled for release in December, told me that the AF has told him to expect an 18 month stop-loss.

Last edited:
I was about to say the same thing as FlyChicaga, by the time the guys go through ground/sim training, & then flight training, the boys could be back flying the line. I am sure that you will find some pilots that will not mind the O/T.

Southwest has turned a profit for 30 years, they must be doing something right.

Recent Call Ups

I'm just guessing, and nothing I say if founded in rumor or fact but here is my 2 cents.

The activations by the military of SWA pilots has suprisingly been very, very recent. The first activation that I heard of was HPaul on about 18 March. As of last thursday (Feb 27) the number of activations had grown to around 50. As of last night, 5 days later, the number of activations had grown to about 65. I honestly think the March class was postponed prior to the onslaught of activations and if given that hindsight is 20/20 we might not have postponed the class. Now SWA will cover the activations with open time until classes in April hit the line.

If push comes to shove I'm sure that 20 people will come on 1-2 days notice and can be on the line in 1.5 months. Training can be very rapid around here when it has to be. As a comparison:

At UAL DOH: 18 June 2000 First line flight: 28 Sep 00
At SWA DOH: 3 Feb 2003 Scheduled 1st Flt: 17 Mar 03

Its a great company and training has been superb.

Slug

Short Notice

Hi Poolies,

In my humble opinion...

I don't think it's too late to get a March class going. I'm sure there are a lot of folks in the pool that need very little notice to be ready and in place at the training center. In my case, about four hours is the minimum. Is there anyone else in the same situation?

For what its worth....
While I was getting my type rating at the end of September of 2001, the SWA rep. told us the decision to continue classes in October was due to the loss of pilots to guard and reserve activation.
Also, I tend to agree with slug about the suprise of the activations. Freak Biscuit (started in the January class) was on his IOE explaining to people that he did not expect to be activated. Well.... the next day(while he was still out on the road) he got the call to pack bags and report in. I don't know if SWA was anticipating the sudden call ups.
Lastly... if any of you out there really think the people who are activated are coming back any time soon, you might think again. If the "shooting" war kicks off soon and is over quick, there will still be a LOT OF WORK. At least a years worth. And lets not forget our friends the North Koreans ( I think we just sent more bombers over to Guam to "stabilize" the situation). What about the war on terrorism..... ?
Yes, the active duty is strained beyond its limits and the shooting war hasn't even broken out yet. I honestly don't see the work load decreasing dramatically in the next "2 weeks", let alone the next 2 years.

My friend in the AF who is scheduled for realease in December told me that he was told that his likely stop-loss will last 18 months.

Latest resources

Back