Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jimEJet

Hey you guys already at the big show!

I'm am still sitting in the pool and patiently awaiting my class date.

I just had a question if someone would chime in with an official company stance I would be very grateful.

I was wondering what the company stance was on flying part time (PART 91)??

I ask this question because I currently fly for a corporation that I truly respect and would prefer to cause the least amount of financial burden to, when I transition to SWA in the first quarter of next year. I have to goto recurrent in January and may have a class date with SWA in April. So, if I could fly for my current employer part time so they can gain some Return on their Investment and I could continue to pay my mortgage and bills with my huge pay cut for the first couple of years at SWA it might be a good thing.

I do realize that during the first two of three months it may not be realistic due to training, OE, and reserve, however...

1. Is it allowed??
2. If it is, does anyone actually do it?

DO NOT BE MISTAKEN! I realize any extra activity, outside my future dream job, would take second priority.

Thanks in advance for any input guys and ladies!!

JEJ

Yes, you can fly on the side for pay. You must request authorization to do so from flight ops per the Flight Ops Manual (FOM). 1st year guys/gals probation/reserve are eligible.

Don't have the FOM in front of me, but I believe you are limited to 15 hours per month, must notify scheudling of all your off duty flying and of course it cannot interfere with flying the line.

I submitted the request about a month after IOE and I got my authorization no sweat!

Thanks InHot

You know, the more I hear about SWA, the more I LUV it!

Why go anywhere else???

I have the FOM in front of me.;)

7.2.29 It says you'll need approval. Who do you go to? Vice President of Flight Operations or his designee.

A couple of options. 1) Forget about what you owe the company you currently fly for after you leave. 2) If your a captain now, turn into an F/O in January.

If this is a good corporate flight operation then they will understand when you leave.

RJ

You do not owe your corporate employer anything. Your training is a cost of doing business. You are taking a very honorable position, but staying current is part of their business expense. It is cheaper for them to send you to recurrent then it would be to hire someone that has to be trained in a new aircraft. Your helping them out, there

After you get hired, I would not do it. If you get a violation they (assuming here) will not go to bat for you with the FAA like SWA will. You don't need two jobs.

Thanks guys for all your feedback, I shall keep it in mind...

Never really considered a violation and the effect it may have on my position at SWA. Well, I shall keep it in mind!

thanks again all!!

Latest resources

Back