Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA classes to start around Jan. or Feb.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BHS

Have heard from some buds at Swa that rumour of classes to start around January or Febuary with two classes a month indefinetly. One bud said around 500 for the 2004 year and 600 for the year 2005.

Jan... or Feb

All internal rumors have been chatting about Feb as the starting date fo rnew hire classes.... a recent internal newsletter mentions 1100 pilots and 90 new 700s over the next 3 years.....

Still a rumor floating around about a possible class in Oct. 03' too.... mostly has to do with returning activated Guard/Reserve guys.... as of now approx 30 of the 96 are back on line @ SWA.....

Good Luck!!! Flyin'

I heard a nasty rumor that several Reserve units (that were previously scheduled for deactivation) will NOT be deactivated in October (or anytime soon). I wonder if SWA has caught wind of this?

"Conservative hiring plans...."

Just looking at www.southwest.com again, I like their choice of words. Being the eternal optimist that I am, I still say there's a chance of a class or two this year.

Southwest Airlines Flight Operations Department
Information for Prospective Pilots
Note: Based on our conservative hiring plans for the remainder of 2003, we have made the decision to stop accepting Pilot applications from April 1, 2003 through at least the end of the year.

Let's not write off 2003 just yet.

Coop ;)

Coop, dude, I luv ya but there ain't no way we are gonna dry off this year. That's just my take on the previously announced "no new classes" release. I didn't buy it last year when they stopped hiring, but then they actually didn't hire anymore and I was crushed (the old bottom of the roller coaster, kinda like now).
So I'm just mentally prepared to wait until February.
Besides, we are getting a new puppy next month and my wife would KILL me if I picked then to take a trip to DAL....
In the meantime, try to think of some positives.
Like for me, first year pay (before 9/04) is a slight pay cut, but after 9/04 first year pay is a raise. So the longer we wait, the less number of months I live with less $$. Also, the sooner we get hired, the longer we spend in OAK. So the floodgates open in the spring and there's a slight slight chance we might bypass it altogether. And, we'll be able to brag to all our FO's in ten years, "Back in my day, I was in the pool for two years uphill through the snow both ways...."

Anyway, I hope you are right and I'm wrong, and if so I'm buying in the promised land. If not, there's only 138 days, 9 hours, and 26 minutes until 8:00 AM on Feb 16th (maybe the 2nd class will be then?) but who's counting?

Coop,

Sorry to be negative but that was on the website in April when there were still classes in the future (April and May). I hope you're right about more classes this year, but don't read anything into that quote.

shootr

Dudes..

The company is well aware of some of the units not returning or in some cases being extended after some R and R stateside..

What ever happens always keep in mind that those folks will have jobs when they come home..I suspect its a matter of WHEN they come home..

As we spool down 2003 im sure someone is doing a "how goes it "and if it still looks like they may not be returning in mass you may see classes sooner than later..

One thing that was brought up the other day was the timing of the new checklists and FOM..
SWA tends to be very careful when it comes to not painting themselves in a corner..

There is SOME concern that the check list and new FOM will come out shortly after classes start creating a problem for the new hires having to learn a whole new set of procedures..

Right now the starting of classes is close enough to when the FOM will be finished that they MAY..And I say again..MAY consider hold up classes for a very short period of time to allow the FOM to be completed and all new hires be trained on the new procedures..

Several folks ive talked to said that they are pushing to get the new FOM and procedures done before the end of the year so it will be ready when classes start ..

Everybody ive talked to has said that the training center is VERY busy right now gettting ready for the next three years of hiring..

2004,05,06 are going to be very exciting years for SWA and looking for nearly double the airplanes by 2012..

So keep hanging in there..

And when it happens hang on tight...Its gonna be a wild ride for alot of you..Many of you will have a shorter up grade time than myself and i will be starting my third year in Jan..

And speaking of time moving fast..Everybody here will tell you that you wont believe how fast time flys..I didnt think much of it..

They are right..It seems like a hundred years ago that I got the call from JM now JB..But its been the fastest two years of my life..

Everyday has been a blast..

Mike

Last edited:
As do I, Mike! Thanks a million.
Hey, could you or anyone else suggest what would be a good idea to be studying up on in the meantime?
Memory items and limitations I know, but what about flows, etc?
Are they going to change? Would it be a good idea or a bad idea to memorize the ones I have now?
I just don't want to wash out of training, you know!

Latest resources

Back