SWA bans "Non-TSO" headsets. QC2?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
http://www.ps-engineering.com/muse.shtml

I bought this gizmo back in the day - when it wasn't $200!

But it works great with any headphones :)

I have one of these and it doens't seem to interface well with my iPod and Bose. I don't know if it's a defective unit, but I bought it used and don't want to sell a defective unit so it sits in a closet.

I went to radio shack and bought a 1/4" Stereo Y-adapter, Stereo 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, 3' 1/8" male/male cable (get length appropriate for your application), and a volume control cable.

1. Plug the Y-adapter into the aircraft headphone output.

2. Plug your headset into one output of the Y-adapter and the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter into the other output.

3. Plug the male/male cable into the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter.

4. Plug volume control cable into the male/male cable.

5. Plug your ipod into the volume control cable.

6. Use the volume controler to mix the levels of your ipod and ATC/intercom. Volume all the way up will make the music loud and ATC virtually non-existant (bad!), while volume all the way down will make ATC loud and music very quiet.

7. Enjoy music while monitoring the ops frequency while at the gate only! This device is not for use in flight, as that would be unprofessional and possibly against company policy.

Another way of listening to music in the cockpit is piping it in on the jump seater's intercom, but that forces both pilots and the CVR to listen.

By the way, the Radio Shack version has functioned better than the Muse with my set-up.

I have one of these and it doens't seem to interface well with my iPod and Bose. I don't know if it's a defective unit, but I bought it used and don't want to sell a defective unit so it sits in a closet.

I went to radio shack and bought a 1/4" Stereo Y-adapter, Stereo 1/4" to 1/8" adapter, 3' 1/8" male/male cable (get length appropriate for your application), and a volume control cable.

1. Plug the Y-adapter into the aircraft headphone output.

2. Plug your headset into one output of the Y-adapter and the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter into the other output.

3. Plug the male/male cable into the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter.

4. Plug volume control cable into the male/male cable.

5. Plug your ipod into the volume control cable.

6. Use the volume controler to mix the levels of your ipod and ATC/intercom. Volume all the way up will make the music loud and ATC virtually non-existant (bad!), while volume all the way down will make ATC loud and music very quiet.

7. Enjoy music while monitoring the ops frequency while at the gate only! This device is not for use in flight, as that would be unprofessional and possibly against company policy.

Another way of listening to music in the cockpit is piping it in on the jump seater's intercom, but that forces both pilots and the CVR to listen.

By the way, the Radio Shack version has functioned better than the Muse with my set-up.

Out of curiosity, why do you need the volume control cable? Wouldn't the built in volume control of the Ipod serve the same function?

I don't have a volume control cable but after reading this post I'm gonna grab one. Without the cable I can hardly hear the Ipod...even with it cranked at full volume

I wear my plantronics headset in one ear (can't remember the model #, it's like the Telex 5x5), and I just stick one of my iPod buds in the other ear... on the ground only of course, while monitoring the ATIS.

Yeah, maybe we can vote on it again.

Latest resources

Back