SWA Apps - 1 April Deadline

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Type question

Without a type & ATP completed your app will be rejected if submitted without them. As I recommended if your desire is to work at SWA, press ahead with the plan to get the type sometime in the very near future so you're ready & 100% complete when the app window opens up again. Don't knock yourself out for the next few days but don't use April 1 as an excuse to delay getting the type & ATP. Use this time now to prepare yourself for the inevitable interview (it will happen, honestly!!! we just don't know when). good luck & don't be discouraged because you missed the 1 April deadline. Cheers & God Bless our troops.

Mad dash to the Post Office

Nothing like the closing of an application window to finally get a pilot off his duff!!

I know what you mean! I was feverishly finishing the application and getting those LORs this weekend. The LORs are from other Air Force pilots -- none from the inside. Hopefully that won't work against me. Got the 737 TR from HPA -- that should help a lot.

Good luck to all those who beat the deadline.

TT

When are LORs weighted?

I was told that SWA does not necessarily use the Letters of Recommendation to decide to grant the interview, but AFTER the interview to decide whether or not to hire you.

Can someone please confirm this?

Thanks

TT

LOR

A couple of things. LORs are used to meet the qualifications for an interview. You must have a minimum of 3 LORs with the app. (current app window closed) along with the other minimums met to have your app accepted. There was a time when the app just needed to be accepted & the LORs had to be in prior to the interview....this no longer applies obviously.

The LORs themselves are not viewed, weighted or evaluated until after the interview process is complete. The interviewers only have your resume in front of them when they interview you....no background info like LORs or anything else that may influence them....you're alone, afraid & solo during the interview to impress/depress the interviewer. The LORs are included in your package that is reviewed at the decision board (DB) along with all the other data, background info, interview feedback, LORs, etc.

Hope that helps,

I got hired without any insider LORs. All mine were from military pilots I had flown and worked with. I didn't know any SWA pilots when I initially applied, but I am delighted to say that I know a whole bunch now due to this excellent web-site :)

ditto....

All 3 of my required LORs were from non-SWA employees.

I did, however, have a a few SWA employees (FAs & pilots) put in a good word for me with their CPs just before the DB met..... I also added a couple of additional reccomendation letters, post-interview, from my former FAA FSDO POIs, and a couple of former military buddies who flew w/ me all of which I have know for many years.

I ALSo followed up with a personal Thank You card to each of the interviewers as well as my contact in the PD the DAY after my interview.

As far as I can see (or think), none of the above held any more weight than the other, but believe me, I was intent on doing EVERYthing I could in my favor to insure my chances were as good as possible of getting hired. SOMEthing worked - I have been "tredding" here for going on 13 months now.....

Good luck to all that are to follow - I hope that this stuff is useful...

Tred

All three of my LOR's were from pilots at my current airline. Two of them are check-airman/sim/aircraft instructors and the other is an FAA D.E. Of course, that all means precisely SQUAT since I haven't gotten an interview yet! :D Hopefully soon!

I know (of) a few guys at SWA, but have lost contact with them over the years. If anyone knows how to get a hold of Jeff Cope or Steve Oliver, please send me a private message!

Thanks!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back