SWA Any good news????? Anybody!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jappie

Has anyone got any good news about additional classes after the 19th May?? LL indicated no more. Any SWA guys with some input..... Where is Chase when you need info! He alway has good Poop!

Not that anything is in stone....

On the billboard in the OAK pilot lounge, there is a list of the firm/tentative classes for the year.

There is a tentative class scheduled for July (I can't remember the exact start date) Next week, I'll try to remember and look at the start date.

Hoping for many more classes for yaaallllll!! :)

OAK

Hey Oak or anyone else in the SWA system

Any Idea what the number of classes they have or plan to have for the rest of the year?

anyone....anyone....buelller?

Jappie & others

You didn't shame me out of hibernation but I only just got some interesting news that as always is caveated with, "I'm just an FO with no inside knowledge".

I have heard of "some" discussion about a possible June, July & maybeeeeeee an Aug class. I wouldn't quit anything based upon my word but as we march through May here we should be seeing something happening maybe in a few weeks about an announcement. My best guess would be if there are going to be classes they wouldn't be until the later part of each of these months only to give the company more time to evaluate how the revenue stream is doing, how guys are flowing back from the war situation but again, only a guess. The PD dept won't confirm anything I've said because I just talked to them recently & they only knew of the class that started this past Monday. They are working off of the standard info that has been published.

Two other tidbits that I found interesting & encouraging. We've not seen any but just one or two Capt upgrade classes this year (much earlier). Normally when new hires are going, capt upgrade classes are going too. Beginning in July I've heard a class of 20 Capts will be going through with a class "penciled" in for each month after that throughout the year. Again nothing is confirmed but for planning purposes. We are taking 17 the remaining number of our jets (2 per month I believe beginning in July) for the rest of the year so that matches up with the new routes that were announced at the qtrly meeting.

The last note & one I didn't get from a line pilot but someone who was briefed by the senior SWA officials was this (I haven't heard it anywhere else) was that beginning on all aircraft delivered after Sept '03, the '700s will have winglets on them!! I'll wait to see them but you heard it here first, flightinfo.com!!! Haven't had time to validate it but fuel savings being big here, it would make sense the issue has been raised. You don't add $1M (I heard that was what it cost but don't know for sure) per airplane if you don't think it will help save dollars down the road.

Not sure if that will cheer :p many faces but hang in there. The pool is draining slowly & my loads were a mid week texas 2 step were higher than normal, 70% loads on all but 2 loads & that is when the normal load might be only 50%. Good luck & hang in there.

A couple of tidbits..

Ive been flying up and down the coast and have seen a number of flight attendants being flown to BWI for fingerprinting..

My guess is that you dont need to get fingerprinted unless you are going to have a class of FAs..

In way of adding to Roys post..

I too have heard that the training Dept has classes penciled in thru August..

A CPT buddy just got back from big D and said classes in both July as well as August were "discussed"..

These things combined with Mr Parkers statment of being profitable for the year at the beggining of only the 5th month of the year PLUS increases in service out of and to Vegas would lead me to believe that we aint done yet for the year..

My loads up and down the east coast have been very good as well...

We may be giving the tickets away but the planes are pretty much running full where ive been..

As always the last folks to know are those in the PD..So its not surprising that they can only confirm what has been released to them...Great folks with a tough job to do and they do it well...

As always these are just rumors and insider tidbits that cant be relied on for any indication of classes or hiring..

But to me..Things are looking up and IMHO the possibility of a few extra planes near the end of the year might be possible as we continue to grow this year..

Hang in there..The wait is worth it..

Mike

Last edited:
Hey OakRBust,

Looks as though the wingtip in your avitar is all chewed up? Sure you want that pic?

RJ

Thanks for the info

We appreciate the insight. We understandably don't get that from LL, and it is good to hear positives like that. Just knowing that there are tenative classes penciled in is good news. I don't post alot, but frequently read the postings. Thanks for taking the time to let us know what you have heard. I look forward to getting on property some time soon. I can't wait to fly for the best!

Regards,

RB

Thanks for the news

Thanks for the news Chase and MLB. Since I know you guys are way too busy to moonlight for the New York Times, I take a lot of stock in the truthfulness of your reporting of the news here.

Thanks for taking the time in your busy schedules to keep us all up to date.

This has certainly brought a little sunshine into my otherwise cloudy day. (literally, it's been like Seattle in here in NC).

RJones....

That's what the wings look like after all my landings..... I never looked at it that close though... Thanks!!!

Oak

Winglets

I was passing through PHX the other day and while the mechanic was working on a MEL for us, he was giving us the latest and greatest. He said the winglets are a done deal and all existing 700's would get the retrofit. He also mentioned plan about a 3 to 4 percent fuel savings with these installed. They figured it out 700 fleet wide and it was a small price to pay. Plus, Im sure they are getting a killer deal on em too.

Hope it's true, winglets would look cool...

Latest resources

Back